Is the RIAA destroying music on the Net?

Is the RIAA destroying music on the Net?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are also stifling creativity by making it harder for independent artists to get their music out.

Here is an article - http://suicidegirls.com/news/geek/21181/ Probably shouldn't visit that link if you work for a company that is strict about what you visit, or if you are immature.

Okay.....I will try to come from both perspectives :D !

For RIAA:
In general, what goes under copyright by an artist is to be distributed legally, and by ignoring these rules, that person/s is therefore breaking the law, and the RIAA has every right to do what they must to stop criminal activities.

Againt RIAA:
Artists make millions upon millions of their currency, and therefore should not be very concerned with the money that is not made by the use of piracy.

So, which would win in an argument; I think I speak for many people when I say #1 ;) . You see, if you were that person who made that music, and you know that you are losing money everyday from the use of piracy, I'm sure you would be right there with the RIAA.

I think that RIAA is stupid. Laws should not apply to cyber space. (There still should be firewalls and stuff) But I think if its now virtual its legal to do whatever you want.

beef_jerky4104: I have no wish to play the Devils advocate here, but just because something can be done, doesn`t necessarily mean it should be done.

Are you really saying that the downloading of copyrighted material for free should be allowed?

If that were to happen, pretty soon there wouldn`t be a recording industry/film industry/software industry and then what?

I`m no fan of the RIAA or their methods, but there has to be some kind of protection for the people who create music etc. I have no idea what the solution to this could be, but no doubt, the war between the downloaders etc and the copyright holders will continue until some solution is found.

Regards Howard :)

beef_jerky

We had a discussion about this in school, and someone brought up a really good point; what about the people doing illegal stuff that I will not speak of one this website? Shouldn't those sickos be caught?

I never said that the private owners/moderators shouldn't control that stuff. I beileve that p1r@t1ng should be legal, but that doesn't mean M$ shouldn't do anything about it. What I'm saying is that laws should not apply to cyber space. Still moderators should be in place.

I think in many cases the riaa goes too far. That said, I'm against piracy, and the riaa does try to prevent it. I'm more anti-drm than anti-riaa. I just hope the itunes store starts selling all drm free music, that'd be awesome. Then I can easily use my music wherever I want instead of only the pc and ipod. For example, my vehicle has a usb input on the stereo, and I want to be able to buy music from the itunes store(as mp3 or aac) put it on a flash drive, and play it in the car.

For all you defending the RIAA, read at least the first page of this article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18384667/site/newsweek/ Internet radio will be changed forever if they get their way.

Also the recording industry is all about profit and not about music. Have you ever bought a cd that had several good songs on it (rare but can happen) and you only hear one song out of those on the radio. Then several months down the road when the cd sales are falling off they release another, I don't have any real proof, but I bet a station won't even play certain songs off the album if you request. They milk every cd for as much money as they can. But its just buisness you may say, but then take a look (again I don't have figures right now) at how much money the artist actually gets per album sale. The RIAA makes way more money per sale than the artist does.

I've quit buying new cds, if I really want one I buy it used.

They milk every cd for as much money as they can. But its just buisness you may say, but then take a look (again I don't have figures right now) at how much money the artist actually gets per album sale. The RIAA makes way more money per sale than the artist does.
True.. here in australia i think its $2.45 per album sold goes to the artist, then the rest of the price you pay is split between covering production costs (studio time, hiring session players, gear, consumables, cd pressing and distribution) and the record company they're with.. all based from percentages or something.. i believe its somewhat similar in the US but got different rules and rate of pay, although thats towards the topic of royalties...

from my point of view, there should be honor due to those people who've earned it (artists etc) especially if they live off that income only, and as much good intentions they have at protecting these people, sometimes good intentions leads to bad decisions..

Funny that. RIAA's website seems to be down on my end...

one thing is for sure, music is definitely not the same as it was before all this happened. Yeah I'm going to go out and buy a 20-30$ CD to listen to one or two tracks on it that I like and not listen to the 20 others. :rolleyes:

It is the rare album indeed.....

Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you. I have 2 CDs that I bought recently that (I believe) are top notch all the way through. I was more than willing to buy these CDs at retail. I also remember buying LPs with my allowance which had 1 good cut. In that case, it's a good question as to who's stealing from who. (I say it's the industry,since I believe they knew it sucked when they released it, it's "product"). IF(BIG IF) I can download a single song in a lossless format, then burn it to a CD as a CDA file with no DRM I would be more than willing to pay for that. It would, after all, save me at least $10.00. I don't have to own most albums for the sake of owning them. This whole discussion is doomed to be a conundrum as long as people are people. CEOs are greedy, listeners sometimes are poor. But, and this is really important, when you get too dependent on the computer for your music and movies, you can bet your last dollar that the entertainment industry will keep sticking more and more DRM to you. Just like the price on Vista is "so low now" because M$ has put the brakes on piracy, you can bet the price on media won't drop as more and more control is put on it.

Agreed. Apple is apparently going to start offering DRM free, higher quality music on some iTunes songs. It will cost some 30 cents more, but I'm willing to pay that for higher quality drm free music.

I have to agree with Capt. Cranky. I got so disgusted with paying gobs for new albums that suck, that i started cataloging all the albums from the past 30 years that I know have gems on them. I'll wait a little to see if the new stuff has what it takes. try CD Universe for your cd needs. It has short previews of most of the material they sell. there is a boatload of material from the past 30 yrs. just waiting to be discovered. And it is just as fresh as the day it was recorded if you never heard of it before. Also, most of the older stuff is dirt cheap and has bonus tracks.

Something to add about sharing music on the internet with P2P networks. It is increasingly becoming a source for viruses and malware. Last week I cleaned a system on which 13 viruses were found in partially downloaded music files from limewire.

Weigh the risks of:

1. Getting caught and paying fines/going to jail
2. Losing your important data because you got infected from downloading free stuff.

I use Itunes. I buy songs for 99c. You don't have to buy an entire album to get just what you want. There are also other reputable sources for buying individual songs. I think artists have a right to make music and expect to get paid. Just because we don't agree with the fact they make gobs of money doesn't make it right for us to share and exchange all their stuff for free.

RIAA has begun a recent crackdown, especially on college campuses where music sharing is especially rampant. Fines of no less than $3000 and some imprisonment (and unfortunately for the parents for those under 21) have been levied.

You can buy a lot of music for $3000 bucks.

Its not a recent crackdown, they've been targeting college campuses for years and years and years.

I guess I need to clarify my use of the words "recent". It's only been recently reported in our little ole newspaper here in South Mississippi. I know that RIAA has been cracking down for years. But recently some local students/parents were prosecuted and now it has become a big issue with my business when parents ask advice on whether they should allow their teens to download music free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back