Is there a 3 pin adapter for a 4 pin molex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

My case fan from antec has a 4 pin molex. I want to connect it to the mobod to be able to control the speed with the mobod controller but need a 3 pin. Is there a way to do this?

Circuit city used to carry them and any decent computer shop should have them in stock. I just bought two last week at my local computer shop.

was that an "antec" or a "vantec" fan? if it is a vantec thermoflow it has a small PCB and its own motor speed control onboard that the mobo connection won't recognise. It has to have a constant power supply that isn't regulated. If you connect the vantec thermoflow to the mobo fan connection the fan won't operate except for maybe a high speed rev at startup. Use the molex that it comes with or you won't have any fan at all (it won't be ruined, it just won't function).

I bought a vantec thermoflow for my PC and wanted the 3 pin mobo connection. that's how I found all this out (not by asking the techs at the store, they thought it came with a 3 pin mobo connection).

The fan I purchased had a molex patch, with a male and female connector. I installed it on my CD R power connection to avoid any voltage sensitive issues on my other peripherals (all my peripheral power connections were in use). hope this was helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back