TechSpot

Is there a cable that I can use to make USB into a 9-pin serial?

By hypermikem
Mar 5, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have an IBM thinkpad 600x with a replicator. The replicator has a 9-pin serial port which I utilize, but the replicator is too big and bulky to fit into my case. Can I use some sort of USB to serial 9-pin(male) adaptor and have WIndows 2000 pro recognize it as a com port? Thanks.

2. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

You are wanting to go from USB on the device to serial on the PC, correct? I believe there is a cable available for that. But I'm not sure if it will work for what you are needing. You can check out http://www.beyondlogic.org/ The people there have many projects in the works and some completed for several things dealing with communications between different types of devices.

3. hypermikem

hypermikem TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 25

Actually it's the device that is 9-pin female and my laptop has a USB port on it, but the port replicator that it docks to is the only place with a 9-pin com port. The serial port is com2 when using the port dock. Is there a cable to covert a usb port to a serial RS232 connection, and have it act as a com port?:dead: I hate lug the replicator around. For a thinkpad 600x, the docks are big and bulky. I am not sure if there is a cable for this type of conversion, or even if you can get a usb port to act as a com port. I'm still quite green when it comes to obscure connections and possibilities, but I'll keep digging further and find my answer. :cool:

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

I believe you want an USB-DB9M adapter.

They are out there, maybe not easy to find, but they are.

5. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

There's a convertor for EVERYTHING. If you can't find one, I'll gladly send you one. I work at a place with literally hundreds of used, unimaginable adapters.. RJ5 to phone jack, RJ5 to serial, PS/2 to things I've never seen........ etc.

6. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

Base on my personal experience, this adaptor tend to come with new optical mouse.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.