TechSpot

Is there a Problem with my Ti 4200?

By Amitad
Apr 4, 2004
  1. Hi everyone,
    I recently purchased a Ti 4200 128 Mb DDR.The make is XFX.But when I ran Benchmarking tests namely 3DMarks 2001SE I got a score of only 6240.From the different reviews on the net this card should score in the range of 8500-9000.I got this score on 640*480 32 bit.My Pc is P4 1.7 512 Mb RAM and VIA Chipset P4M266.
    Do I need to make some changes in the Bios say like change AGP aperture from 64 to 128?).
    Pls help.

2. Steg

Steg TS Rookie Posts: 269

Yeh 6240 is very low - i was getting over 8800 on my Ge3 Ti200. Make sure you are using all the latest drivers (nvidia 56.76, via 4.51) and if that doesnt sort it a reformat might be in order to clear out your system.
    Also make sure you completely uninstalled the previous card your system had and the drivers for it

Good luck

Steg

3. Amitad

Amitad TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 25

I have the latest drivers but my AGP slot is not 8x but 4x.Could this be the reason for the low score?I mean even if the AGP slot is only 4X instead of 8X is this score of 6200 instead of 9000 to be expected?Does 8X instead of 4X make such a BIG difference?Also I ran the benchmarkings on Quality Image settings and AF/AA setting on application.Does this affect the scores to such an extent.Everything suggested by you Mr Steg has already been done.PLs help.

4. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,244

I would recommend you drop back to something in the 42.xx-45.xx driver range. The GF4 cards do not like the newer drivers much(since they are NOT written for those cards)

Also, are you having any specific problems in games?

5. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

According to my UberScore, you should be getting more.

You wouldn't happen to have AF &/or FSAA enabled by any chance ? & make sure Vsync is turned off whenever you wish to run a VGA benchmark.

6. Amitad

Storm Bringer what do you mean by "are you having any specific problems in games?".What sort of prob do you mean??

7. BrownPaper

BrownPaper TS Rookie Posts: 407

stormbringer is asking if certain games do not run or do not run correctly on your computer. some newer games may have problems with older drivers, and the problems may have been corrected with recent drivers.

8. Amitad

Well now that you mention it Homeworld -2 at 800*600 with all details on is Slightly jerky.(The read me said that the recommended card is GF 4 to enjoy the game in its full glory).I dont know if this qualifies as a problem.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.