Is there a program I can test my GFX Card's voltage with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRunyon

I'm running an 8800GT OC on a power supply that's sub-par to what the system requirements are telling me to have. Yell at me all you want, go ahead. It's an Antec 380w that came bundled in a case that I have from a build that never got further then the case...

My question to you is... is there some kind of software that I can check how much power my card is getting/using and compare it to stats on how much it should be getting?

Everything is stable, this is just out of curiosity. Thanks!

PS. Feel free to list game demos I should download to test the eye candy on my new toy!

No software that I know of... There is hardware that will do it, but it is expensive and bulky.
The indepth examinations at www.tomshardware.com, www.anandtech.com, and many of the gaming sites have published very accurate reports. If yours is the same as those in the reviews, your usage will be the same if it is running properly.

raybay said:
No software that I know of... There is hardware that will do it, but it is expensive and bulky.
The indepth examinations at www.tomshardware.com, www.anandtech.com, and many of the gaming sites have published very accurate reports. If yours is the same as those in the reviews, your usage will be the same if it is running properly.

WWWW Excuse me, but sometimes comments are not helpful. If you don't know...

FIRSTLY " SUB PAR "???? Ok, let me tell you one thing. Keep doing that until you want your whole system to be a smelly burnt out brick. A PSU (when it goes), will quite frequently take several other peices of kit. UPGRADE NOW. TO check:

Download Speed Fan AND PC Wizard from my sig.

Post the voltages from both programs UNDER LOAD (e.g. gaming), let me know if you need help.

TO UPGRADE

Click on my Power Supply Info (Red) in my sig.

Bigfellla said:

WWWW Excuse me, but sometimes comments are not helpful. If you don't know...

FIRSTLY " SUB PAR "???? Ok, let me tell you one thing. Keep doing that until you want your whole system to be a smelly burnt out brick. A PSU (when it goes), will quite frequently take several other peices of kit. UPGRADE NOW. TO check:

Download Speed Fan AND PC Wizard from my sig.

Post the voltages from both programs UNDER LOAD (e.g. gaming), let me know if you need help.

TO UPGRADE

Click on my Power Supply Info (Red) in my sig.
Your comments?
Maybe take your own advice?

GRunyon said:
I'm running an 8800GT OC on a power supply that's sub-par to what the system requirements are telling me to have. Yell at me all you want, go ahead. It's an Antec 380w that came bundled in a case that I have from a build that never got further then the case...

My question to you is... is there some kind of software that I can check how much power my card is getting/using and compare it to stats on how much it should be getting?

Everything is stable, this is just out of curiosity. Thanks!

PS. Feel free to list game demos I should download to test the eye candy on my new toy!
Since your psu came with the case it may be hard to determine (without checking the label and doing the math).
See if it's any of these:
TruePower TP-380 ~24A
TruePower 2.0 TPII-380 ~28A
NeoPower 380 ~26A
EarthWatts EA 380 ~27A
NeoHE 380 ~28A
http://www.antec.com/InternationalWelcome.php

You need 22A (absolute minimum), 26A to play it safe

This seems like a simple thing to figure out and fix. Read the box that your 8800 GT came or go to Nvidia .com and get the exact needs of your GPU. Then go to the store, buy one with those specs, install it, and be done with it.

This has to do with the PSU's efficiency. A very low quality generic PSU, may only be able to output a percentage of its rated power. If you measure the voltages as per my previous post, you will notice if the PSU is stuggling to provide the power required. If the 12V rail drops, then your PSU is not rated high enough in terms of wattage, or efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back