Is there any steps need before taking out a modem card

By Rockfan1815
May 16, 2005
  1. This is probably a stupid question,but I do not need my 56K modem because I have cable internet and use ethernet, so do I have to "let the computer know that I am going to take the card out" before I take it out. I only have 3 slots and I have a exaust fan that takes up two slots and I am buying a sound card so I need an open pci slot.
  2. isatippy

isatippy TS Rookie Posts: 497

first of all it's not a stupid question, but do you need the card out. To take the card out all you have to do is make sure your grounded pull out the card. It should just pop out.
  3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Go into device manage and uninstall the modem from there, then shut down your system. This will remove the drivers for the device.

Open up your case and as Isatippy says "make sure you`re grounded" and take the modem card out. Close the case and restart. That`s it.

Regards Howard :) :)
  4. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

It might feel 'stuck' in there, so don't rip it out of the board. You will have to unscrew a screw from the top of it where it connects to the back of the computer. Once that is done, simply pull up, you might need to rock it a little bit, but it should just pop right out.
  5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

It is enough to touch the computer case (a part that is not painted preferably) before touching any circuit boards to "ground" yourself.

Unplug the computer from the mains. Turning it off is not enough - parts of the system will still be powered and a screw dropped in the wrong place can do damage.
  6. Rockfan1815

Rockfan1815 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 51

Thanks, I am really good at working on computers, I have fixed many old ones, but I wasn't exactly sure of what I had to do with the modem before I take it out. Thanks for all your help.
  7. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

You may need FAX capability. I left my fax modem in my computer. I use it once in a great while. Although I have a digital phone, I routed the Fax card through the digital phone!
  8. Rockfan1815

Rockfan1815 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 51

i don't have any need for fax. I don't use my computer for pictures and I don't have a digital phone or fax machine, I only use my computer for internet, games and school work. But thanks for the reply.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.