Is there no other way to increase FPS???

Status
Not open for further replies.
dudes, ive bought an Asus ATI Radeon 9200SE 128MB video card last year so i could play my favorite games (Call of Duty, NFS Underground 2 and Halo)... but im really dismayed by the VC's performance because the games had very low FPS...

my brother's GeForce 4 64MB can actually play games like Halo with a higher FPS but mine cant :(

so is there any way of increasing the FPS of games???? or do i have to throw away my VC and buy a newer one??? because all the people on these forum seem to agree that 9200 video cards are slow...

May sound a little dumb but drivers have alot to do with it, also games run better with diffrent settings on the video card, i know my Nvidia has a section designed to run certain games with diffrent settings so its more fps.

Make sure you have the latest drivers for you card. You can set your resolution lower, maybe to 800x600. Turn off, AA and AF, and turn off vsync. But, all this is going to make the quaility of what you see worse, there is a price to pay for higher frames per second usually.

Also make sure your ingame video settings are not fighting with you video card. By that I mean, have the ingame settings, the same as you have your video card set to, ie, no AA, AF, vsync.

In the game audio settings, lower your audio quality to the lowest.

Before running the game, make sure you don't have any programs running that you don't need, like your virus scanner. These programs take up memory, that you need for the game. Reboot your computer before starting to play the game.

Make sure you have enough virtual memory. As there is a lot of controversy on how much virtual memory to have, I'll just say that I would have AT LEAST twice your ram, probably more. I would set the minimum and maximum at the same value.

You might do a Google for tweaks for the game you are playing. But that might, or might not, involve playing around in the game configuration files.

I don't know if any of this will help, but you might give it try. Let us know how it goes, if you do.

how do i know if i have enough virtual memory???

when i choose "Application Reference", am i turning off AA and AF? becuase im using ATI catalyst 4.12 and you cant turn off AA and AF...

i have also observed that the FastWrite Option is disabled.. could this be one of the culprits???

I'm having a bit of the same problem with mine. I got a Radeon X800XT Platinum for Christmas and it doesn't seem to run games as well as I think it should. I have to have it on 640x480 on Doom 3 to stop it freaking out.

I've tried the Catalyst Drivers update 4.12 but it seemed to be worse! My Pc seems to run slower too.

For your virtual memory, go to Conrtrol Panel/System/Advanced/Performance Settings/Advanced. At the bottom of that box, you will see how much virtual memory you have. If you want to change it, click on "change". You will probably see that it's set for "system managed size". I would check "custom size", and reset it to whatever you choose, minimum and maximum the same.

If it's set to system managed size, it's probably set at 768. You can try setting it to 1024, min. and max., and see how that works. You might or might not see an improvement. You might go to 1536 and see how that works. This is just a try and see what happens trial. You won't damage anything doing this. If you go down in value, you will have to reboot, going up, you won't.

If this doesn't do any good you can always set it back to system managed size, if you like, but you will have to reboot, that's normal.

On the other question, if you have "Application Preference" set, it lets your game choose what video settings to use, that will be okay. Just go to the game video settings and turn everything down as low as possible, and see if your game play improves.

karlt78, there is no way you should have that kind of trouble, with that video card, it should run Doom 3 easily. The only thing I can see with what info I have is, maybe if you had a faster processor, it would run better. But even so, running the game at 640x480 is not good. Something for sure is wrong.

That card needs one, or maybe two, (I'm not sure how many), power cords plugged into it. I know it needs at least one, and if you didn't do this, it for sure won't run right. You can't just plug it into the AGP slot, like some other cards.

When you updated your drivers, did you uninstall the old ones first? Did you use the ATi uninstall tool? Or maybe use "Driver Cleaner", after you uninstalled the old drivers? If you didn't do a clean uninstall/install, you might have some kind of driver corruption.

You should be able to play Doom 3 at 1024x768 at reasonable settings.

Please excuse me if you know and have done all this, I'm just trying to give some ideas.

nah... ive tried everything... still slow...

could the MOBO have something to do with this??? how about this FastWrite??? My MBO doesnt seem to support it...

thanks dude...

Celeron, you could try turning fastwrites off, I think you have to do it in your bios. I've never had to do that. I know that some people say that can give a problem. As a matter of fact, the Omega modded ATi drivers, have fastwrites turned off by default.

karlt78, what about your power supply. I didn't think to ask about it. That card is very power hungry. You need a good quality power supply. ATi recommends 300 Watts? I'm not sure. But I would have one larger than that.

damn... still no improvements... nevermind... ill just accept that i made the wrong choice in buying a VC... hehehehehehehehe.. maybe ill just sell this one and buy a new one...

thanks you very much olefarte...

Cheers Olefarte,

Yeah, it's got one power cable and I've correctly connected it up first in the chain from my PSU (which is 450W).

I didn't use the ATI driver remove tool, but I uninstalled them manually. My old card was PCI and now I'm using AGP, you don't think there's some kind of conflict there do you? I've installed the correct AGP driver for my board.

The only other thing I can think of is that I also installed a 300gb hard drive and (as I'm not so knowledgable about them) have put it as a slave to my 40gb original. (I posted a thread in the Storage section about it for some guidance).

I know it'll affect the speed at which I run games off it, but would it affect it that much??

Unfortunately, your gfx card is aimed at the low end budget market and if you intend to use it with todays latest titles, your going to have to reduce your gaming resolution to a degree where the game can be played comfortably and you'll have to switch off those cpu sapping fx settings in the options screens of the games, if your serious about games, the only real compromise is to invest in a decent gfx card of which there are plenty of out there.

Sorry mate, but my graphics card is already top notch. It's the Radeon X800XT 256MB card and I've checked the specs against the GF 6800 in Doom 3 and Half Life 2 and it's about the same or better.

I'm sure you were posting for the original thread, but I'm having similar problems getting a good FPS response.

My mistake, I was replying to the original post which refers to the 9200,
I did'nt know you'd bought the x800xt which is indeed a high end gfx card - but you say your still having issues with speed?

If after installing it with the latest drivers your still having to play a game like doom 3 in low res, then I'd definitely take it back to the retailer - all the fixes suggested in this thread should make your card run significantly faster but are'nt going to push the performance up to the degree where the card is running at the speed its SUPPOSED to.

When I bought my 6800 last year, as soon as I installed it and installed the latest driver, I found that there was massive corruption and my pc kept shutting down.

After testing the card in another pc to ensure that it was working (which it was), I uninstalled ALL the drivers in my computer, reinstalled the card along with the driver and it worked!

Its only as I reinstalled the other drivers that the fault recurred but at least I found the cause so simply changed the errant driver and whahay!

If you still have the receipt and the fault is still present, take it back to the retailer for a replacement or refund.

No worries bud. It's not too bad on 1024x768, but I thought it'd be really smooth and have no problems at all. It seems that when things start to get hectic (and when doors open) it slows down considerably!

It's playable but I spent the extra cash to get it running fantastic...

Don't accept that its ok that you can play doom 3 at 1042 - your gfx card is capable of MUCH more and it costs a great deal more (and is a great deal faster!) than my 128 meg 6800 which plays doom 3 at 1600x1200 in high detail mode in conjunction with an amd 2400 and is both fluid and does not slow down when theres a lot of onscreen activity - there is something plainly wrong with your card, either that or the drivers are conflicting, you don't spend that much money on a card as you have and accept that it is'nt as fast as some budget models so I reiterate - either test it in another computer or take it back to the retailer and let them give it a look over.
Good luck.

I need help with the fps on my cpu

Hey i just gt a new nvidia 6800 gfx card and the fps on games namely call of duty 2 in whey low between 9 and 20 the last card i had was the 6600gt and that got up to 50-60 ... ive tryed everything above to increase it but no dice.... anybody got sugestions on what i can do?

thanx if your not regestered here add blackraven3000 to xfire or kingalex@hotmail.co.uk to msn

Cheers ill post back here if i get any results;)

Change the render engine from DX9 to Dx7 in the video options.

Ice Drive said:
Hey i just gt a new nvidia 6800 gfx card and the fps on games namely call of duty 2 in whey low between 9 and 20 the last card i had was the 6600gt and that got up to 50-60 ... ive tryed everything above to increase it but no dice.... anybody got sugestions on what i can do?

thanx if your not regestered here add blackraven3000 to xfire or kingalex@hotmail.co.uk to msn

Cheers ill post back here if i get any results;)

tryed it

tryed changing the engine to dx 7 still did nothing....and that accout is my spam account lol

if u have any more sujestions let me know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back