TechSpot

Is this a good deal?

By newbie5678
Feb 27, 2004
  1. I saw an ad for a used Intel P4 2.4, 512, onboard sound and lan for $300 USd. No monitor, HDD, CD, mouse, keyboard.

2. Godataloss

Godataloss TS Rookie Posts: 501

not spectacular, no- the chip's prob ~$130 and unless the mobo and ram are top-notch you arent really saving anything and could be buying somebody else's problem.

3. newbie5678

newbie5678 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 48

I don't know anything about chips and motherboards and what is good but here is the complete specs:

Intel P4 2.4Ghz, 533mhz FSB
    512MB Rambus Memory
    Gigabyte GA-8IHXP motherboard with overclocking function with
    NIC, onboard sound, USB 1.1 & 2.0, raid support.

4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

No, it is not a good deal. Not for me, anyway.

Of course, this depends on your idea of "good deal".

When I buy complete systems from people that around your specs, I usually get them for around $150 if they are in good condition with an 80GB or larger hard drive. ;)

Of course, I then resell these systems for twice the price. So maybe if you can weasel something like $200 or $250, it would be better.

5. lowman

lowman TS Rookie Posts: 446

Do it piece by piece if you can...any buddies that know the tech side of things, and who won't rip you off?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.