TechSpot

Is this a good fit?

By B0rb0rigmus
Feb 20, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm building a new PC and I've been researching parts for the last 2 weeks. It will be mostly used for e-mail and word processing for my wife, video games and internet for myself. I don't intend to OC but I like to keep my options open. So far all I've chosen is the CPU amd Mobo.

I've decided on the Abit NF7-S v2.0 and the AthlonXP 3000+ w/ 400FSB.

I'm just wondering if anyone out there knows of any problems with these or if you can recommend something else that may work out better for me.

Thanks for the help!!
  2. pizzada

pizzada TS Rookie Posts: 108

Sounds fine...I'm on my first build myself...and from everything Ive heard so far, Asus is a good standard for MoBoards.

I looked up your Abit NF7-S v2.0' on NewEgg.com, and found it was DUAL Channel memory. Now, I was told earlier yesterday by one of the TechSpot administrators that no Athlon XP chip can take real advantage of DUAL Channel memory because the front side bus of the Athlons at 400mhz can't handle all the info that the DuCh memory sends to it anyway.

So, you'd probably save $7 bucks, if you got the non-DUAL board if your on a tight budget.

I asked why on earth they would make DUAL Channel boards if the CPU chip couldn't take advantage of it, and I was told that DuCh was originally intended for other system devices to run easier.

So, I still don't know if that means that it's not worth getting or not, but for $7 more, you might as well.

One last thing, if you play any 3D games at all, you might as well get a decent 128 or 256 megabyte graphics card. I'm not getting a 'top-of-the-line' card myself, but those are all $500 anyway. So Ive been digging into all the articles that I could find, and found that an ATI Radeon 9600XT (Low-end $130 U.S.) is very near the best current 'price/performance' factor.

Also, everybody stresses over and over again to make sure to get a decent PSU (Power Supply Unit) because most that come with new cases use deceptive labeling, and can destroy your new MoBoard if it blows up.

They all recommend at least 350 Watt on up. I'll stop rambling now, but here's an informative link on the decent PSUs, and also the ones to avoid:
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566

Hope this is helpful...
  3. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

Wow, I am so happy for you all, buying computer stuff and building your machines for the first time. Excellent!

I think both of you sound like you are doing just fine, and I would go with the choices you have made. If you have any problems, post here and I am sure that someone will be able to help you.

Asus, Abit, Gigabyte and all the most of the rest make very good motherboards indeed. What I really would recommend is reading the manual for the motherboard from the internet before you buy it. You might want to compare the features with other such boards from similar manufacturers. Work out what is important to you (extra memory slots v.s onboard RAID, etc) and work it out that way.
  4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Why not spend only a few dollars more and go for e.g. the Abit AV8(-3rdEye). This still takes AGP cards, single AND dual channel memory, has a socket-939 AMD64. That way you are better equipped for the future. That board does NOT have PCI-Express, but loads of other options, such as SATA/Firewire/USB2/GBLan/6ch-sound etc.
    Would run best with a proper 400w or over PSU. Accomodates PC2100/PC2700/PC3200 DDR-DIMM, so highly compatible (still) with recent mobos.
  5. pizzada

pizzada TS Rookie Posts: 108

I think I'm gonna check that option out 'realBlack..'..though Im not sure how much more expensive the 64 bit AMD chips are..close budget tolerances, and all.
    Im just afraid that in the 2-3 years before I would upgrade..they'd probably have something beyond the 64 bit chips...and I'd have to get even something better than that :haha:

You think the 64s will last for more than a couple years ?

I wonder what the 'perfect' CPU would have to be like ?

peace..
  6. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

The AMD64 will outlast the AMD-XP. When the dual-core AMD64s arrive later on this year, you could upgrade just the CPU (or do that in 2 years time when they are cheap) and you are in business with the same board.
    How often do you need to get the latest and greatest? If your PC-needs are moderate (i.e. you are not a fanatic gamer), a setup as described should last you at least 5 years.
  7. B0rb0rigmus

B0rb0rigmus TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 29

Price is very much an issue. The only new game I plan on getting is Battle for Middle Earth, so this should rock it. I need to keep it under $600 and it needs to last about 4 years. Or at least long enough to make my wife happy with what I've made. I've decided on:

AMD AthlonXP 3200+ w/ 400FSB
    Abit NF7-S v2.0
    Thermaltake Volcano 11+ HSF
    (Bought a Master Cooler Jet7, but it's too big for the case.):knock:
    512mb RAM from Crucial (will get another 512mb stick in a couple months.)
    Hitachi 80GB SATA HD w/ 7200RPM 8MB cache
    ATI Radeon 9550 256MB
    CD/DVD ROM and floppy drive I'll take from my other PC.

Thanks for your advice. Everything should be here by next Tuesday. Hopefully the next time I post, it will be with the new PC. Have a great weekend everyone and thanks again.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.