Is this a good video card?

By ddappete
Dec 31, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm wondering if I need a new video card? I have a NVIDIA with the number on it of MS-8830 ver 1.0, which honestly doesn't mean anything to me.....

I'm wanting to run a Pinnacle Studio Quickstart 10.7.
    1. It captures video all herky-jerky and not smoothly in real time like my Toshiba, and,
    2. The playback is like 2x speed. I downloaded the "fix" that Pinnacle refers to but didn't matter..........

Is this a video card thing?

I'm running WIN XPSP2 having 512MB RAM and plenty of HD, 1.7GHz processor.

pete
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,450   +135

Yes the video card may need to be upgraded... Is this a Compaq computer? Model? Serial number?
  3. ShipMaster

ShipMaster Newcomer, in training Posts: 95

I would like to add that you should update Studio right away, I have the same program and the latest version is 10.8.
  4. Fragrant Coit

Fragrant Coit TechSpot Maniac Posts: 579

It's more than likely an old NVidia "TNT", which have 8 or 16Mb of onboard RAM.

That'll be the Capture issue, it's an old card with very limited "Grunt".

You'll need to find out what Motherboard you have & determine if it is AGP 4x or 8x {then you can buy a newer, much more powerful one}, or AGP2x, which has gone the way of the Dodo.

This tool may help: http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php , it'll tell you more than you need to know about the innards of your PC.

With that Processor, there's not much point spending big $ on a video card, something like an 8500GT would do nicely.
  5. ddappete

ddappete Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 25

Good comments, all.
    It is a compaq (EVO) which explains why when I arrived home all excited about my new video card....and then found the card's dimensions were too large!!!$$%%&^&&. My current NVIDIA is a Vanta-16, VGA card and is like 3inches by 6 inches. And the 16MB explains the low end of it........

It's been suggested to go to newegg.com (SP?) and look. I do need to make sure I get the right "pin" configuration for sure. My current one is in 3 regions....of I'll call them 11 and 8 and then 10 "virtual pins". I think at Circuit city I was focusing on this AGP business.....I think the vendor of my failed attempt was ATE model 100437602CCS.

Is this my MB....Intel(R) 82801BA Ultra ATA Controller?

With regards Studio I did upgrade to 10.7 and have not yet done to 10.8.
  6. ddappete

PC Wizard tells me my main board is..........

====================================
    General Information :
    Manufacturer : Compaq
    Product : 0788h
    Version : Unspecified
    Serial Number : U215JYHZA672
    Support MP : Yes, 1 CPU(s)
    Version MPS : 1.4

Chassis Information :
    Manufacturer : Compaq
    Type : Space Saving
    Version : Unspecified
    Serial Number : U215JYHZA672
    Asset : U215JYHZA672

Sensor Information :
    Hardware Monitoring : Analog Devices ADM1028

On-Board Device Information :
    Embedded Controller : No

Slots Information :
    Slot AGP 4X : In Use (32-bit) 3.3v
    Slot I/O Riser : In Use (32-bit) 5.0v, 3.3v
    Slot PCI : In Use (32-bit) 5.0v
    Slot PCI : In Use (32-bit) 5.0v

External Connectors :
    Serial 16550A Compatible : DB-9 male
    Serial 16550A Compatible : DB-9 male
    Parallel ECP/EPP : DB25 female
    USB : Access Bus (USB)
    Keyboard : PS/2
    Mouse : PS/2
    MIDI : Mini-DIN

Internal Connectors :
    COM A : 9 Pin Dual Inline (pin 10 cut)
    COM B : 9 Pin Dual Inline (pin 10 cut)
    PAR : 25 Pin Dual Inline (pin 26 cut)
    USB 1 : Access Bus (USB)
    USB 2 : Access Bus (USB)
    USB 3 : Access Bus (USB)
    USB 4 : Access Bus (USB)
    KBD : PS/2
    MOUSE : PS/2
    CD-AUDIO IN 1 : On Board Sound Input from CD-ROM
    TV & DVD Audio In : On Board Sound Input from CD-ROM
    P20:primary IDE : On Board IDE
    P21:Secondary IDE : On Board IDE
    P10:Floppy : On Board Floppy
    J13 :
    J15 :
    J15 :
    J13 :
    P9: NIC :
    Chassis Fan :
    P6: Speaker :
    ===========================================
    And yes NVIDIA card was AGP
    Manufacturer : Nvidia Corp
    Model : NVIDIA Vanta/Vanta LT
    Bus Type : AGP
    Total Memory : 16 MB
    Texture Memory : 70 MB
    Processor : Vanta/Vanta LT
    Converter : Integrated RAMDAC
    Refresh Rate (min/max) : 60/100 Hz
  7. ddappete

I see my MB says it has an AGP 4x slot which I assume is being filled by the video card. At Newegg.com it says AGP 8x cards are downward compatable with 4x. I found this EVGA card that might fit the bill though I may have to swap out my smaller bracket (is that hard?) for the one in the picture that looks larger..........http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130039

pete
  8. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,450   +135

That card should work fine in your system
  9. tastegw

tastegw TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 246

that is a decent price too, @ 34 bucks that card has a better memory clock than my $150 pos x1300, didnt check the specs on it before i bought it. its memory clock is less than 300 ;(
  10. ddappete

OK. I ordered it. We'll see.
    As suggested earlier I did a burn on my herky-jerky computer and playing on Toshiba showed same behavior. Herky-jerky (and too fast) video and ok sound. I still didn't do the reverse; record on Toshiba and play on this other computer. Probably won't unless I have problems with new card.
  11. ddappete

bought a GE Force6200, which should have done the trick. I also updated to 10.8 but still get herky jerky capture video that then plays too fast. Sound is good though................
    I suppose I could reinstall software in case the software needed a better display card to be installed against...............seems far fetched though.
    pete
  12. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,277   +22

What AV software are you running? If it's Norton or McAfee, uninstall it and get a free AV like AVG or a paid one like NOD32 (which is what I use and recommend). Also, make sure your PC is free of any spyware and adware by using anti-spware programs like AVG Anti-Spyware, Ad-Aware, Spybot:Search & Destroy and Spyware Doctor.
    Lastly, try using Driver Cleaner Pro (Google for it) to clean out all traces of the NVIDIA drivers from your system, and then install the latest Forceware drivers and try again.
  13. ddappete

no reason yet for me to believe I have spyware or virus issue. I use Norton Internet security. I'll consider the cleaning out old driver thing though.
    thanks.

14. ddappete

I ran the diagnostics and everything was fine. I did clean out NVIDEA drives then reloaded my GE Force so all should be fine. The Stupid Studio thing is hanging at 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am up to 10.8.

Shipmaster, what are your thoughts?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.