Is this a good video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddappete

I'm wondering if I need a new video card? I have a NVIDIA with the number on it of MS-8830 ver 1.0, which honestly doesn't mean anything to me.....

I'm wanting to run a Pinnacle Studio Quickstart 10.7.
1. It captures video all herky-jerky and not smoothly in real time like my Toshiba, and,
2. The playback is like 2x speed. I downloaded the "fix" that Pinnacle refers to but didn't matter..........

Is this a video card thing?

I'm running WIN XPSP2 having 512MB RAM and plenty of HD, 1.7GHz processor.

pete

Yes the video card may need to be upgraded... Is this a Compaq computer? Model? Serial number?

I would like to add that you should update Studio right away, I have the same program and the latest version is 10.8.

It's more than likely an old NVidia "TNT", which have 8 or 16Mb of onboard RAM.

That'll be the Capture issue, it's an old card with very limited "Grunt".

You'll need to find out what Motherboard you have & determine if it is AGP 4x or 8x {then you can buy a newer, much more powerful one}, or AGP2x, which has gone the way of the Dodo.

This tool may help: http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php , it'll tell you more than you need to know about the innards of your PC.

With that Processor, there's not much point spending big $ on a video card, something like an 8500GT would do nicely.

Good comments, all.
It is a compaq (EVO) which explains why when I arrived home all excited about my new video card....and then found the card's dimensions were too large!!!$$%%&^&&. My current NVIDIA is a Vanta-16, VGA card and is like 3inches by 6 inches. And the 16MB explains the low end of it........

It's been suggested to go to newegg.com (SP?) and look. I do need to make sure I get the right "pin" configuration for sure. My current one is in 3 regions....of I'll call them 11 and 8 and then 10 "virtual pins". I think at Circuit city I was focusing on this AGP business.....I think the vendor of my failed attempt was ATE model 100437602CCS.

Is this my MB....Intel(R) 82801BA Ultra ATA Controller?

With regards Studio I did upgrade to 10.7 and have not yet done to 10.8.

PC Wizard tells me my main board is..........

====================================
General Information :
Manufacturer : Compaq
Product : 0788h
Version : Unspecified
Serial Number : U215JYHZA672
Support MP : Yes, 1 CPU(s)
Version MPS : 1.4

Chassis Information :
Manufacturer : Compaq
Type : Space Saving
Version : Unspecified
Serial Number : U215JYHZA672
Asset : U215JYHZA672

Sensor Information :
Hardware Monitoring : Analog Devices ADM1028

On-Board Device Information :
Embedded Controller : No

Slots Information :
Slot AGP 4X : In Use (32-bit) 3.3v
Slot I/O Riser : In Use (32-bit) 5.0v, 3.3v
Slot PCI : In Use (32-bit) 5.0v
Slot PCI : In Use (32-bit) 5.0v

External Connectors :
Serial 16550A Compatible : DB-9 male
Serial 16550A Compatible : DB-9 male
Parallel ECP/EPP : DB25 female
USB : Access Bus (USB)
Keyboard : PS/2
Mouse : PS/2
MIDI : Mini-DIN

Internal Connectors :
COM A : 9 Pin Dual Inline (pin 10 cut)
COM B : 9 Pin Dual Inline (pin 10 cut)
PAR : 25 Pin Dual Inline (pin 26 cut)
USB 1 : Access Bus (USB)
USB 2 : Access Bus (USB)
USB 3 : Access Bus (USB)
USB 4 : Access Bus (USB)
KBD : PS/2
MOUSE : PS/2
CD-AUDIO IN 1 : On Board Sound Input from CD-ROM
TV & DVD Audio In : On Board Sound Input from CD-ROM
P20:primary IDE : On Board IDE
P21:Secondary IDE : On Board IDE
P10:Floppy : On Board Floppy
J13 :
J15 :
J15 :
J13 :
P9: NIC :
Chassis Fan :
P6: Speaker :
===========================================
And yes NVIDIA card was AGP
Manufacturer : Nvidia Corp
Model : NVIDIA Vanta/Vanta LT
Bus Type : AGP
Total Memory : 16 MB
Texture Memory : 70 MB
Processor : Vanta/Vanta LT
Converter : Integrated RAMDAC
Refresh Rate (min/max) : 60/100 Hz

that is a decent price too, @ 34 bucks that card has a better memory clock than my $150 pos x1300, didnt check the specs on it before i bought it. its memory clock is less than 300 ;(

OK. I ordered it. We'll see.
As suggested earlier I did a burn on my herky-jerky computer and playing on Toshiba showed same behavior. Herky-jerky (and too fast) video and ok sound. I still didn't do the reverse; record on Toshiba and play on this other computer. Probably won't unless I have problems with new card.

bought a GE Force6200, which should have done the trick. I also updated to 10.8 but still get herky jerky capture video that then plays too fast. Sound is good though................
I suppose I could reinstall software in case the software needed a better display card to be installed against...............seems far fetched though.
pete

What AV software are you running? If it's Norton or McAfee, uninstall it and get a free AV like AVG or a paid one like NOD32 (which is what I use and recommend). Also, make sure your PC is free of any spyware and adware by using anti-spware programs like AVG Anti-Spyware, Ad-Aware, Spybot:Search & Destroy and Spyware Doctor.
Lastly, try using Driver Cleaner Pro (Google for it) to clean out all traces of the NVIDIA drivers from your system, and then install the latest Forceware drivers and try again.

no reason yet for me to believe I have spyware or virus issue. I use Norton Internet security. I'll consider the cleaning out old driver thing though.
thanks.

I ran the diagnostics and everything was fine. I did clean out NVIDEA drives then reloaded my GE Force so all should be fine. The Stupid Studio thing is hanging at 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am up to 10.8.

Shipmaster, what are your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back