TechSpot

Is this A Normal Shutdown??!?

By akaivan
Jul 8, 2006
  1. awsskater892

awsskater892 TS Rookie Posts: 96

Hi, I really wouldnt worry about it too much. it sounds like the psu just cuts off power, but theres just a second or two where there is still a little power left in it. As long as evrything else seems normal then dont worry about it, but if it really concerns you then just send it back to tigerdirect, there very understanding with returns. -Nick

2. KingCody

KingCody TS Evangelist Posts: 992   +8

you didn't get a great deal. the plain "ultra" PSUs are garbage and IMO are not even worth $20

yes, that is normal. the monitor is not powered by the PSU, it turns off after it recieves "no signal" from the PC.

3. awsskater892

awsskater892 TS Rookie Posts: 96

yay kingcody saves the day again

4. akaivan

akaivan TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 470

Well the revews are good, and i think thats your opionoin cody. I had have severl tell me thats a great psu... Anyways thanks for all your help

5. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

KingCody is absolutely correct in his appraisal of Ultra psu`s.

This is a list of bad psu brands and was taken from HERE.

A cheap psu always has the potential to fry your valuable computer components.

If you go and read the full article, you will see a list of recommended psu`s.

Regards Howard :)

6. akaivan

hmm, is there a link were the good psu are...?

7. korrupt

korrupt TS Rookie Posts: 716

It should be fine - I don't think it will damage your system.

Regards,

Korrupt

8. KingCody

are you going to buy him a new PC when it cooks all his components?

cheap PSUs like that may (and I stress the word may) be able to provide sufficient power for your system, this is why people may say it's good (just read a few useless newegg reviews to find that out). but keep in mind that it will only put out about 60%-70% of what it rated for.

but the real danger in using a cheap PSU is it's voltage regulation and it's protection circuitry, or lack there of. if it's not being taxed, then it will probably work ok. but if it gets taxed then the voltages start to fluctuate to dangerous levels and the PSU may produce a spike of high voltage and current which will pass right through the garbage "so called protection circuitry" and proceed to cook all of your components with it.

chances are that it won't happen, but is the $40 savings worth compromising your $1000+ computer? it's your call, but it would be wise to buy from a reputable brand like Antec, Enermax, PCP&C, fortron who have proven reliable protection and realistic wattage ratings.

9. KingCody

yes there is. click here

also in the link that Howard provided, if you scroll down there are recommended PSUs below the list of unrecommended PSUs

lol :)

10. akaivan

ELl i understand, wat does TAXED MEAN?!?! and umm. I have only spent like 160$ on my pc..lol Its was boke wen i got it.. Sorry for my typing

11. KingCody

"wat does TAXED MEAN?!?!"

12. akaivan

aha ok got it..

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.