Is this a scam?

jackha

I have recieved this recording 4 times now wanting me to call 877-774-7990 with no info other than being important. It didn't sound right so I went on line trying to find the source with no results and was wondering if anyone else has recieved anything simular.. I think it's a scam...

I have not received anything of this sort. I also couldn't find anything on it, so I would say don't call it, if they really needed to get a hold of you they would probably leave more information.

I have heard of scams that will charge you a lot of money if you call them back, so if you dont know who it is then I would probably suggest not doing it, and besides you can usually tell by the persons voice if it is a business call or personal call. If it sounds business and they say it is important I would definately pay it no attention. If it is important they will call you back.

Credit!!!Hell no I'm broke too... No credit, My credit's so bad that my cash ain't no good.. Anyway If I knew how to do it I would put the recording here so you could hear it it's kind of wierd that's why I started looking for the phone no. to see if I could find it..You know you can go to the phone co. and type in the no. and supposidly if it's in the US. they will find it but it didn't find anything and that was the reason I posted it here just to see if anyone else had got anything like it and if it was one of those scam things where if you call it it's a $50 phone bill..too let you know about it..All for now,,thanks again..

jackha: I "heard" that some people got charged about $900 for one call. That is mainly why I recommend against it. People are finding more and more ways to rip people off these days.

Here are some links for examples to the kind of thing I am talking about:

http://www.phonebusters.com/Eng/SpotaScam/scams_900_scams.html

quote from http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/809.html

"Subject: SPECIAL ALERT - DON'T EVER DIAL AREA CODE 809

This is pretty scary-especially given how they try to get you to call. Be sure you read this & pass it on to all your friends & family so they don't get scammed. SCAM: Don't Respond To Emails, Phone Calls, Or Web Pages Which Tell You to Call An "809" Phone Number. This can easily cost you $100 or more, and is difficult to avoid unless you are aware of it. "

The one above is the main scam I was thinking of.

Yes they are located somewhere in the carribean I think. I have heard about this a LOT, they can charge you up to $150 per minute. And of course they will keep conversation going if you call them.

woah... you have numbers beginning with 8 that AREN'T free??

all 18xx numbers here are free or 15c flat fee...

Heard of this scam in the uk, they use 07000 numbers, as they are solely redirectors to any other number... people assume the call is cheap, when its insanely expensive

I presume they try to con people like me who assume x8xx numbers are free...

Having worked and lived in Haiti for seven years, I personally witnessed one of these phone operations. It wasn't the same type of scam as we are talking about here, but, it was still a scam. It was phone sex and the minute you pick up your phone and call that number, and they answer, you get a $35 charge and then $4.95 a min. The operators doing this got a percentage of the charges, so they would keep you on the line as long as possible. This is probably one of the cheaper operatons going.

Haiti's phone company and I think Dominican Republic's phone service are government owned, and they make a lot of money off these type of calls. In Haiti, the phone company licenses long distance service to one of the major phone companies, that we all know and love. It costs $1.65 a min to call to/from Haiti and the US. Who do you think gets the major portion of that? The local phone company. The phone company in Haiti is the only government owned entity that makes money, they aren't inclined to stop this stuff. Oh, forgot to say, this phone sex operation was located in the "major phone company" headquarters building. Think they didn't know about it? HeHe.

The bottom line to my long story is, don't call that number. If you feel you must, go to a pay phone, at least you'll only be out a normal phone charge, or they won't put it through.

If it is an important call by a reputable company, they would have left at least their company name on the voicemail.

Or join the 21st Century and get rid of your home phone. I never get solicitations on my cell phone.

Yea, you guys/and or gals {I have to be political correct here}
I was kind of hoping that someone would know how to trace this no. down and see where it's coming from so I could ixpose it if it's a scam or raise hell if it isn't. I tried all of the systems that I could find from the phone co. with no results.. I'm not very sharp when it comes to looking things up on the web so I just thought maybe someone else would know how to do it and let me know how..One thing I have noticed is that I was getting up to 3 recordings a day but I didn't get any yesterday nor any yet today so maybe they gave up....
Oh yea acidophilus [geez what a handle,why don't you change it to antiacid it's easier to spell] anyway I checked out those sources and that kind of what I knew that;s why I got real suspicious about it...Will Thanks again Jackha..

good job

If you were at least a little bit educated you would know what Osmosis meant and therefore could easily remember how to spell it. Don't make fun of my name. If your going to do it, at least have a 1st grade education beforehand. Thanks.

Here is a small explanation of the name for you so you can remember later.

Acid - Crystalline compound, C20H25N3O, derived from lysergic acid and used as a powerful hallucinogenic drug

os·mo·sis - Diffusion of fluid through a semipermeable membrane from a solution with a low solute concentration to a solution with a higher solute concentration until there is an equal concentration of fluid on both sides of the membrane

You might be able to find some info on the number by going through the better business bureau.

I have gotten similar calls myself. A recording saying to call the number about an important business matter, or something like that. I've gotten quite a few of them with different numbers. Of the ones I called, they all turned out to be credit card companies wanting me to apply for a card, or telling me how much I'd already been approved for. After about three times, I stopped responding, once I figured out it was just a way of getting you to call them, rather than them trying to wait for you to be available.

I don't know if what you got was a scam or not, but I have gotten the same thing over the past several months. So far, the recording sounds pretty much the same. It's always some guy with a definite New York (probably Long Island) accent telling me that representatives from his office have tried repeatedly to contact me at my number and that he needs an adult to call back as soon as possible and that regulations prevent him from leaving any further information, etc., etc. He has left names such as Allan Lane or Nathan (something) and, most recently John Tyson, but it's always the same New York/Long Island accent and sounds very much like the same guy each time. For each name he gave, however, he would leave a slightly different 800 number. Maybe it was an 877 number, I can't remeber the two numbers he's left before. Anyway, each number was identical except one digit would be different. Each time he called and left a number I would look it up using www.reversephonedirectory.com and the Better Business Bureau website as well as a general search engine search by just typing in various forms of the phone number. I came up with nothing, and NO I've never called the number back. In fact, your message concerning the 877-774-7990 number (which is the most recent one I got today) was the only thing that I have come up with so far. Like you, I don't want to call this number (and won't). I am especially suspicious since the guy has called using now three different names but always sounds like the same guy and always leaves the same recorded message. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not going to call it. If it's legitimate, they will have to figure out how to contact me some other way. Good luck!

Well, you could allways try to do as bedlam suggested and call from a pay-phone... Just don't pay with a credit card and you should be safe...

:wave: Hello and Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

phone calls

Well as you can see the original message I wrote was last June and I had forgot about it till I got an em from techspot.
Anyway I'm still getting them every once in awhile, only now it's female callers with the same message.
I'm not about to call the No. I just wondered if anyone else was getting the same type of call..
Oh yea if Acidophilus happens to read this I thought that osmoses is what caused a wooden boat to sink and now you tell me that it has something to do with you're membrane!! dam you city people sure talk funny!!!!
All for now.
Jackha...

Now I'm Getting These Calls Too

I'm now getting messages once or twice a day, giving the name John Tyson, asking an adult to call 877 774 7990.

Hey just happen to see this...
Anyway that's the same guy that I got for awhile but now it's females with the same phone no. , guess they gave up on me, haven't heard from them for a couple of weeks..

I, too, have also received a message from an irritated man asking that I call 877.774.7990. Only he left the name John Tyson, but didn't ask for anyone specific. I thought it sounded strange, too, so I didn't call. I think it might be a scam.

Back