TechSpot

Is this a virus or trojan?

By vegasgmc
Apr 14, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. At 8:37 this morning my laptop sent out 33 emails from my AOL account. All were sent to places I sent emails to in the past, some addresses are very old and some were names Ive never heard of. Most were returned as MAILER-DAEMON returned mail. I have AVG and nothing has come up in a virus scan. Each sent email is a different link to a website such as hxxp://www.architektarikan.ch/home.php but I havent tried clicking on any of them. This laptop has a new install of Vista and Ive never downloaded anything from an unfamiliar site or opened any email attachments.Thanks

2. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +36

One of 2 things happened: either you have a mass mailing malware that sends out spam to those in your address book-or-someone who has you in their address book has the malware.

MAILER-DAEMON is the invisible internet postman who sends mail back when the email address is no good. Don't take him personally- all of us have had 'him' in our mailbox at one time or another!

The link you left- I've edited it so it is no longer a hyperlink. The Domain 'architektarikan' is actually made from the name Arikan Architektur in Czechoslovakia. There are quite a few site on the internet, but all require translating which I didn't do.

I would suggest that you make use of our Prelim. V&M Removal steps HERE.

Leave the 3 logs and I'll check them for malware and we'll see where to go from there.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.