Is this HD compatible with my system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rilla927

Hi folks,

If my memory serves me I have 4 Sata ports on the MB Sata Raid1, Sata Raid2, Sata1, Sata2.

Currently I have:

1) Two Raptors paired up as Raid=138gig after format for C drive
2) Single Raptor=69.2gig after format for F drive
3) Hitachi=372gig after format for G drive

These drives are going to be three years old this June. I keep all my data on the F and G drives.

I need a larger C drive to work with snapshots from First Defence- ISR.

I was thinking of taking the Raid setup and still use it but not for the C drive, now if I do that it looks like I would have to eliminate one (more like the Single Raptor 69.2gig) in order to purchase a new larger Sata drive for the C drive in order to accomodate the # of Sata ports the MB has. Tell me if I'm wrong? Or is there another way to make this work with out eliminating anything at all such as a Sata Card adapter.

I was thinking of this drive for the C drive. Is this what they call Sata2 generation? I will attach a hardware report from Everest. I hope this is enough info.

This MB is a revision 2 because the first one was replaced. That's all I was told.

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4697788?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Thank you for your help in advance.

Yes, you can install a PCI(-Express) SATA controller card and have lots of extra ports. Mind you, having two fakeraid SATA controllers can give you a lot of headaches, since the fakeraid drivers are crap.

Get a non-RAID SATA controller or a real hardware RAID controller to be on the safe side.

SATA devices are backwards compatible, so you can use this "second generation" drive on older SATA controllers no problem.

Since I'm not going to be using the C drive setup in Raid anymore which would benefit me most?

Will the Power Supply be overburdened?

Thank you,

With a fakeraid controller, even if you don't set up a RAID array, the stupid controller logic may still treat the drives as some sort of an "array" and force you to use the proprietary driver logic.

If you an afford it, get a 3ware SATA RAID controller - it will be fast and compatible :)

As for the PSU.. The only way to know for sure is to try it out :)

Holy cow! Theses are expensive. Is there any alternatives that would be compatible?

If not, what about me buying another Hitachi 400gig and pair it with the one I have as Raid for the C drive?

The last thing I can think of is changing the MB to something that is equal in size but has 6 Sata ports.

Ever since I posted the original post I have been having problems everytime I click submit, this info is telling me to log in or I don't have permission to access this page when I'm already logged in and I have to keep clicking submit in order for it to post numerous times. What is going on with this?

The other extreme from real RAID controllers are the non-RAID ones. I can't really comment on these. And of course, any controller card may work for you. Ideally, you would test one and see if you run into any performance or compatibility problems.

As for the log in issue.. Do you have any software or settimgs that block cookies? Using a proxy?

Try ticking the "remember me" box when you log in.

Nodsu said:
The other extreme from real RAID controllers are the non-RAID ones. I can't really comment on these. And of course, any controller card may work for you. Ideally, you would test one and see if you run into any performance or compatibility problems.

As for the log in issue.. Do you have any software or settimgs that block cookies? Using a proxy?

Try ticking the "remember me" box when you log in.

Okay, as for the Raid Controller I will scrap that idea because I think I will be inviting more headaches. I will just omit two of the raptors and put them on a shelf somewhere. I will buy two of the Seagates and pair them up as Raid for the C drive.

I ticked the "remember me " box. I didn't notice it before.

Thanks for your help Nodsu I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back