Is this OK or should I just forget it?

EClyde

Router label: WL- 520GC: DC: +9 V with max 1A current

Adapter label: Input 100-240 VAC 50/60Hz 0.7A
Output: +12 V-----1.66A

Adapter is not originally from the router

The router works with this adapter. BY using might I burn my house down?

Thanks

If it is rated for 9V use a 9V. If it is rated for 1A, make sure you have at least that much. If you supply too much voltage, you risk overheating components. Even in circuits that have voltage regulation, the voltage regulator circuit itself can be over worked, if the source voltage is too high.

I don't think you will risk burning the house down. But you would risk frying the internal circuit of the router.

If I read you correctly, the router USES 1.0a and the adaptor rating is 1.6a.
Being capable of more than required is a normal engineering practice. You would have a problem if the ratings were reversed (eg provide 1.0 but draw 1.6)!

Yes, I'd be concerned about the voltage difference. I think generally you can get by + or - 10%, maybe 15%. But 12V is 33% more than 9V. Would not use.

You won't burn down your house, but it will likely shorten the lifespan of your router, depending on how it's internals work. I can't say for sure, but I would bet that there are internal voltage regulating components that convert the 9 volts down to 1.5 or so for the processor to use. If it hasn't broken yet and it's not too hot, then you'll likely be fine, but I definitely don't recommend it.

Back