Is upgrading to Vista worth it for gaming with this system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi people. I'm currently using the following system and was wondering if an upgrade to Vista would show a big difference compared to XP especially with regrads to gaming? I was thinking of upgrading because i want to experience games with DirectX 10. I have been playing games such as Crysis and COH which are DX10 games on XP. I would like to know if there would be a considerable difference in gameplay with my system:

Core2Duo e4500 OC to 3.0Ghz from 2.2GHz
XFX 8600GT Fatal1ty
3gb DDR2 (2 at 800 and 1 at 667MHz)
Gigabyte P35C-DS3R motherboard

I would also like to know if have ram of different speeds, such as i do, is a good thing and which would be better, 2gb at 800 or the above specification.

Thanks!!

In short NO. Vista STILL has many compatibility problems and also uses more system resources than XP. IF you're a gamer, stick with XP.

@tedster

I heard that a few groups were trying to incoporate directx 10 into XP, when Mircosoft had announced that DX10 would solely be for vista. IS it possible to get Dx10 for XP?

If your only purpose for the upgrade is gaming, then I would stick with XP, more solid drivers and you gain performance by not upgrading.

Now, if you don't mind the occasional bug and a few less FPS (depending on the title), Vista does bring some overall improvement as an Operating System. But in my opinion, for gaming, DX10 alone still does not justifies the upgrade unless you run a very high-end system that can guarantee top of the chain performance in the latest titles.

Imo, Vista is not worth it at all. I am dual-booting XP Pro and Vista Ultimate. When running games on vista i get approx half the fps i get on xp. Also, vista is still unstable and i get many error when running it. over 75% of the computers i repaired in the past 5 months were running vista. If your gonna be gaming, i would advise to stick with xp

Nope. To get much benefit out of a DX10 game, you will need a more powerful video card. DX10 on that in Crysis is going to not work unless you are at 800x600, perhaps lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back