Is XP SP3 worth installing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Vader

Do you guys think it's worth it?

I've heard mixed stories, some say that it causes to many problems to even download, and others say that it can boost your performance.

I've not downloaded it yet, mainly because I haven't had the motivation.

I'd like to see some XP user's opinions.

Windows SP3 is mainly beneficial if you haven't done all your Security updates
(it's basically all the security updates since SP2 was released and includes a small number of new functionalities)

You can download Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview (just some info) H E R E
You can download the ISO (to create a Windows Xp SP3 CD) H E R E
You can download the Network Installation (directly to your Desktop) H E R E
Or you can use Windows Update (to install it directly) H E R E

I say Yes

Sounds tempting.

It's just I've heard from mainly blog sites, which aren't always 100% factual that it causes a few bsod's and crap like that. Any negative input thus far?

I have had some negative effects.It depends what software u use,need to look it up - i doubt if anyone can tell u off the top off their heads...If u have a nlited installation(ie. some of windows built in stuff taken out) i recommend just using ms update to install just the ones u need.If full windows,I would install it from a fresh install b4 u put any software on.

When installing Xp SP3, a system restore point is automatically taken (part of the install)
And worse case scenario, it can be uninstalled from Safe or Normal mode, from Add/Remove Programs, if anything goes wrong.

So there's a plus again :)

Dr. Vader said:
Sounds tempting.

It's just I've heard from mainly blog sites, which aren't always 100% factual that it causes a few bsod's and crap like that. Any negative input thus far?

I had it installed for a bit until I upgrade my system recently. I had no problems with it.

I went for it

I found more details to assure me to install it.
It should be the first thing you see when useing Windows Update.
Watch closely as it installs.After that you won't see as many
Critical's listed.
Reminder : Don't install Hardware items.

Ok you win

shadowmansm said:
Well I am using Vista SP1 but that doesnt mean that I have never used anything else, right? :p
But SP3 hasn't been around that long and it wasn't very long till you went
to Vista.Couldn't you have said "When i had XP" ?

zipperman said:
But SP3 hasn't been around that long and it wasn't very long till you went
to Vista.Couldn't you have said "When i had XP" ?

Yes, you are correct, I didn't explain myself and I am sorry for that. I use every new OS that comes out at least once and in my experience, "when I had XP installed", SP3 worked great and seemed to be much quicker and less buggy.

I apologize too

shadowmansm said:
Yes, you are correct, I didn't explain myself and I am sorry for that. I use every new OS that comes out at least once and in my experience, "when I had XP installed", SP3 worked great and seemed to be much quicker and less buggy.
I just learned that the latest Vista includes SP1.
I thought you should have an SP2 AND SP3 option too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back