Is XP SP3 worth installing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have installed SP3 on 5 systems to date with no problems, I also found them to run a little smoother after the install as well, but not all systems are the same and while one my run with out problems another may not, basically it's try for yourself, just make sure you have everthing you need backed up incase of a problem but as i say i haven't encounted one yet.

SP3 just contains some of these system updates which you would download separately through the windows actualization/update system.

So the question is are these updates necessary ? Its recomended to download it all the time but well, who really knows, some people think they are often pretty useless.

Depends on what you mean by "worth." If you got SP1, SP2 and the updates since, no, it's not "worth" installing.
And the inverse is the only case that is worth considering, ie: SP1 w/o SP2, you should strongly consider making the jump to get current :)

hum; SP1 users without SP2 NEED SP3 as the short path to becoming current.
are we clear?

This question gets asked almost weekly. Here is one thread about it, I'm sure there are at least 4 others: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic106738.html

Its not even a real service pack if you compare it to prior service packs for Windows XP and Windows 2000. You can't slipstream it to a virgin 2001 XP disk. Its been covered 402342 times on these forums, and everyone that asks already knows that all it is is a ton of updates that have came out since SP2, but all in 1 package.

Bottom line is, if you want to install it on your SP2 install of XP then do it. If you don't, then fine, don't install it. I don't understand why this is such a big issue when to even ask the question you probably already know the answer.

This question gets asked almost weekly. Here is one thread about it, I'm sure there are at least 4 others: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic106738.html

Its not even a real service pack if you compare it to prior service packs for Windows XP and Windows 2000. You can't slipstream it to a virgin 2001 XP disk. Its been covered 402342 times on these forums, and everyone that asks already knows that all it is is a ton of updates that have came out since SP2, but all in 1 package.

Bottom line is, if you want to install it on your SP2 install of XP then do it. If you don't, then fine, don't install it. I don't understand why this is such a big issue when to even ask the question you probably already know the answer.

I personally ran into one issue with keyboard and sound drivers becoming staticy right after updating to SP3... So I have stuck with SP2 ;p I'm not even sure what importants SP3 really holds as it's supposedly just an updated SP2 o.O? Nevertheless it messed up my G15 Gaming Keyboard "LCDMedia.exe" and soundmax drivers so that they conflicted with eachother. Only solution I could find was going back to SP2

well I personally think SP3 is good and have used it since beta, have put it on 5 computers and yet to have a problem with it. two were old AMD computers and three were newer Intel boards and processors and I like how much faster to get up to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back