Is your system ready for VR?

Scorpus

Staff member

Playing games in virtual reality is going to require a pretty powerful gaming PC. Oculus recommends at least an Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon R9 290 to accompany an Intel Core i5-4590 and 8 GB of RAM, while HTC recommends very similar specs (and slightly less RAM) to run the Vive.

Considering both VR headsets essentially require gamers to run their favorite titles at 1440p resolutions with frame rates exceeding 90 for smooth, stutter free gameplay, having a PC more powerful than those listed above is a good idea. If you want to run the latest games at maximum quality settings, you might need to invest in two high-end GPUs for a good VR experience.

With both the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive expected to land in the hands of consumers shortly, is your rig up to scratch for playing VR games? Most people with a high-end gaming system should be fine, but there are lots of people out there with only modest PCs that might need upgrading before they jump into a world of virtual reality.

Let us know in the comments below if your rig is beefy enough for a good VR experience.

Permalink to story.

I think mine is weakest on the videocard Sapphire Nitro R9 390, I have some unusual eye problems so I would have to try this before I spend the $$$ it requires. VR should only get better and better with time so looking forward to it.

I have to get a new video card, that and the cost of the VR headset sets me at about $1,500. I'll have to wait for awhile but I'm excited and intend to buy one.

Not sure what all the hate is about. Me thinks Arturo hasn't tried one...

VR ready but not at current prices. Too many other things on my checklist to buy before that. Rather spend the money converting my HDDs to SSDs or upgrading the GPU when next gen cards drop.

I have two EVGA SC GTX 980s ready for VR action, but VR games aren't ready for them. After looking at the state of VR games on Steam, I'm thinking I would not have bothered with the vast majority of this rubbish in the year 2000 on a 2D display, so why would I wet myself over the same quality graphics in a VR format?

I believe my system is ready, but I have no interest in VR at the moment.

*edited*
Call me old school, but with 4K here and IPS getting faster (I'm waiting on that...). I'm fine playing PC games with nothing on my face but eye glasses.

If VR is a hit and has some killer AAA games, I'll jump in with both feet.

My original comment didn't have a real reason.

Last edited:
Having a computer that is capable does not necessarily mean the owner is gullible enough to buy into VR.

My computer can easily handle it if I were to feel it would allow me to do anything I cannot do now, I don't and it can't.

I don't see how they can make a business that is only available to the top 2% of computer owners and of that tiny group only about 1/5th are even interested.
If I was interested, I'd be worried about the company being there in 5 years, let alone content being developed for such a tiny audience.

Last edited:
It is called planning and preparing for the future. Our machines may not be capable now, but they are getting stronger year by year.

Yep, but I won't be interested in VR for a while yet so having a machine that can cope with it is pretty pointless. I never built my rig with VR in mind at all.

I don't see how they can make a business that is only available to the top 2% of computer owners and of that tiny group only about 1/5th are even interested.

They are doing exceptionally well selling them to just the 2%, seems like a solid business model so far.

http://www.wareable.com/vr/htc-vive-vr-headset-april-2016

The Rift sales will be insane. I assume based on your comments that you have never ever tried VR. Or you could just be right about all us gullible fools who were tricked into the who VR thing. I have to say the demos have been convincing :)

I have had the opportunity to try VR on a PC with dual 290's and a 4790k and I'm still not interested in it.

I at least cover the "basic" spec's but even if I had dual Ti's I wouldn't waste my money.

It always baffles me how much hate VR is getting on sites like this by people who've not tried it. Can someone sent out for me why they think that it's just such a bad idea?

My PC is ready and my Vive preordered.

They are doing exceptionally well selling them to just the 2%, seems like a solid business model so far.

http://www.wareable.com/vr/htc-vive-vr-headset-april-2016

The Rift sales will be insane. I assume based on your comments that you have never ever tried VR. Or you could just be right about all us gullible fools who were tricked into the who VR thing. I have to say the demos have been convincing :)
Bought the dk2 for my youngest and tried it out myself, as did my wife and my older daughter. None of us thought that the experience is worth wearing the junk for any length of time. Even my youngest tired of it after about an hour and took it off and played games without it again. It sits it a drawer since it isn't even a decent donation item.
The link is about the first 10 minutes. Since that its gone down and the number is very low for something that was supposed to be in such high demand. I would expect 15000000 if the hype were true. Also I doubt those same folks will but an oculous too.

Bought the dk2 for my youngest and tried it out myself, as did my wife and my older daughter. None of us thought that the experience is worth wearing the junk for any length of time. Even my youngest tired of it after about an hour and took it off and played games without it again. It sits it a drawer since it isn't even a decent donation item.
The link is about the first 10 minutes. Since that its gone down and the number is very low for something that was supposed to be in such high demand. I would expect 15000000 if the hype were true. Also I doubt those same folks will but an oculous too.

Sounds nothing like the experiences I have had and witnessed others having. In any case if you and your family aren't into the fun of VR I suggest you take that DK2 kit out of the draw and recover some funds. Contrary to your opinion they are going like hot cakes...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/I.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=rift+dk2&_sacat=0

Back