ISP reccomendation?

Spike

I live in the UK, and I've finally (well I hope!) managed to get rid of the likes of AOL. If they stick to their promise, BT will tell me that they've even released the ADSL line on Monday.

This does leave me without Broadband Internet though.

I'm looking to sign up with another provider, but if there is any such ISP, I have a few requirements...

At least 1 Meg connection speed.
Uncapped service/no usage restrictions
And, support (or at the very least, a lack of active discouragement) for Linux as well as XP.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Try Eclipse. I've been with them for almost a year. During that time only a couple of minor hiccups which were dealt with efficiently. They fit the bill well on all the points, except I have no experience with them on Linux. Judging by my dealings with them I feel they will cope well with Linux.

Boots

talktalk do 1meg broadband with no limits for a pretty good price. I don't use linux though so i don't know what their support is like for linux.

1 meg max? i get comcast cable internet up to 6 megs here in chicago. you'll probably want something faster as the 1mb is a theoretical maximum.

LOL!

It just goes to show how much we've been ripped off in the UK!

Here, theres a choice of 56k, 128k broadband (which really isn't BB is it? lol), 512k cable, sdsl or adsl, 1 meg cable, sdsl or adsl, and 2 meg cable or adsl.

Anything faster than that has to be done through bonded lins at the moment, and the avereage price of a 2 meg adsl connection (2048 down, 256 up) is about $60 per month.

Spike said:
LOL!

It just goes to show how much we've been ripped off in the UK!

Here, theres a choice of 56k, 128k broadband (which really isn't BB is it? lol), 512k cable, sdsl or adsl, 1 meg cable, sdsl or adsl, and 2 meg cable or adsl.

Anything faster than that has to be done through bonded lins at the moment, and the avereage price of a 2 meg adsl connection (2048 down, 256 up) is about $60 per month.

Hey Spike take a look HERE lol

Regards Howard :haha: :haha:

Ah, but that's a capped service, and I did say no bandwidth cap! :D

Still, yes it is possible to get a faster cable speed, and it'll soon be possible to get ADSL at greater speeds too (for some of us at least! whatever happened to Broadband over Power Lines?)

Anyways, it looks like I've managed to find an acceptable service. I'm signing up with Plus.net for their 2 MB broadband premier service at £21.99 a month. I suppose I could have posted my referrer URL here, but hey, I'm not in it to make money.... yet! :p

Back