Israeli startup shows off breakthrough battery tech that goes from zero to charged in 30 seconds

Himanshu Arora

Staff

StoreDot, a Tel-Aviv, Israel-based startup, is advancing towards a technology that claims to completely charge your smartphone battery in just 30 seconds. The company's technology stems from naturally occurring organic compounds called peptides, which are the building blocks of proteins.

According to the Wall Street Journal, the company on Monday unveiled its technology at Microsoft's Think Next Conference in Tel Aviv. As of now, only a prototype charger for the Samsung Galaxy S4 exists, but the company has plans to make chargers for other smartphones as well.

StoreDot's original focus wasn't charging batteries, it was developing biological semiconductors made from peptides. But the company believes that peptides can be used to speed up charging times for batteries as well.

The company is working to reduce the size of the charger, which is currently the size of a laptop charger. The device will cost you around $30, and is likely to go into production in late 2016, the report notes.

According to a TechCrunch report, the startup has raised $6.25 million to date, and is looking forward to raise another $20 million to bring the benefits of its nano-crystal technology to the world.

Permalink to story.

Now see, this is beyond ground breaking. This maybe the change we need in the battery force for more than just a smart phone, tablet or laptop. Imagine this on a electric car or vehicle in general, that by itself will make full electric vehicle transportation a better possibility if it only took less than 30 minutes to charge a car to full for an excess of 200+ miles without an ramifications.

Now see, this is beyond ground breaking. This maybe the change we need in the battery force for more than just a smart phone, tablet or laptop. Imagine this on a electric car or vehicle in general, that by itself will make full electric vehicle transportation a better possibility if it only took less than 30 minutes to charge a car to full for an excess of 200+ miles without an ramifications.

Completely agree. Charge up your car during a rest stop or lunch break and there you go again.

They must have some serious issues with the technology, if they need another 2 years and over 6 millions to bring it to the market. With all the promised alternatives come and go, this one doesn't sound any more reassuring. I will believe when I see it on sale.

"...charge your smartphone battery in just 30 seconds. "

Very ambiguous way of saying things, it doesnt have anything to do with existing batteriers. They made a new battery AND charger not just a charger for existing batteries.

They must have some serious issues with the technology, if they need another 2 years and over 6 millions to bring it to the market. With all the promised alternatives come and go, this one doesn't sound any more reassuring. I will believe when I see it on sale.
See what on sale? The company or it's technology. If you mean it's tech, that's not gonna happen, a tech giant (I'm looking at you MS, Apple and Google) will buy it before that happens and patent it themselves if things look promising.

This would be a great temporary solution until battery technology improves. You can charge it more often until we get a battery that can last for days.

"...charge your smartphone battery in just 30 seconds. "

Very ambiguous way of saying things, it doesnt have anything to do with existing batteriers. They made a new battery AND charger not just a charger for existing batteries.

That's why you read the article and/or source links to get all the details.

See what on sale? The company or it's technology. If you mean it's tech, that's not gonna happen, a tech giant (I'm looking at you MS, Apple and Google) will buy it before that happens and patent it themselves if things look promising.

Assuming the startup hasn't applied for a patent already that is. You don't have to be a juggernaut to get a patent approved.

I know it's still way early in development, but what we didn't see was how long that charge lasted. Also, the battery wasn't dead before it was charged, so swiping a couple homescreens doesn't really prove or verify anything. The video is crap, but I/we really want to see where this goes.

Completely agree. Charge up your car during a rest stop or lunch break and there you go again.
Nope. 3 minutes or less, or consumers will not be willing to wait to "fill up". People don't like to go backwards in time duration. How fast is that two-year-old smartphone? It doesn't matter. It's slower than your current smartphone.

"Tesla recharged Centuray ago 3-4 sec"

The loud ones are ruining everything. Try listening. Lower your speak/listen ratio, please. It would do everyone good.

I will believe in new battery techs when I can purchase them and see them work for myself. Put me in the crowd of people that have read about countless battery techs that have yet to come to market.

That's why you read the article and/or source links to get all the details.

Assuming the startup hasn't applied for a patent already that is. You don't have to be a juggernaut to get a patent approved.

I know it's still way early in development, but what we didn't see was how long that charge lasted. Also, the battery wasn't dead before it was charged, so swiping a couple homescreens doesn't really prove or verify anything. The video is crap, but I/we really want to see where this goes.
You're correct in saying that it doesn't take a juggernaut to get a patent approved but when they are bought out the buying company usually buys the patents as well an re-registers them in their name.

Let's say the battery is 1000mAh. So if you want to charge it in 30 sec,you'll have to provide 120 A at the rated voltage.I'd like to see the size of the charger and the type of connectors used.

Back