Issue with graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kua

Hi,

Any half-demanding game (which previously my gfx card had no problem with) is now getting lots of errors. The best way for me to describe them is as mono-colour shapes, often protruding from moving objects in the game. For example, I play a lot of Civ and the workers will often develop long spikes out of their arms, stretching right across the screen.

Or sometimes, there are blocks of large pixels of different colours. These issues are annoying but sometimes the issue will make the game unplayable, for example sometimes most of the screen will go black or there will be a huge shape emerging from the scenery. Below is an example from the Medieval II - Total War Demo.

I ran 'HWmonitor' and the max temp for my gfx card was mid-70s which apparently isn't that high.

Someone else mentioned it might be the GPU, and I think that wouldn't be worthwile fixing (?). I've only had the card eighteen months.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to get a new one, because I want to get one in time anyway. I'm already struggling to run some of the newest games (Crysis and the Call of Honour expansion, at least).

I'm rather lazy so if its looking like its not fixable then I might just go ahead and get a new one rather than attempting a series of fixes and/or tests.

Thanks for reading and for all the good advice I know I'll receive.

it should solve u're problem to get a better video card, as the 7900 GT is getting to be an old video card and will not run newer games well.

Have you tried updating your Drivers?

If so, then maybe its just going out? IF you do replace it, tell us your budget and we'll help you choose it.

It might be overheating.
You mentioned the maximum acceptable temperature for the GPU but not your actual temp. readings while idle and in-game.
Download GPU-Z or Rivatuner to check the GPU temperature and monitor it while in-game.
Try your best to clean the heatsink/fan cooling unit of any dust.

I obviously didn't explain myself too well, but the temperature I referred to was the max temp it came to while in-game. I used GPU-Z to record it.

I have the latest driver.

Finally, yes changing the settings to low or to a lower resolution can help, but not always.

And yes, Nick C, you're right, but I thought I shouldn't be having a problem with something like Civ, even the vanilla version I have problems with.

As for my budget, well I'll tentatively say £100. I'm looking for a good value card thatw ill run everything out there for at least the next couple years. And I also recognise I should probably get a new stick of RAM.

well honestly to me it sounds like the card is getting well used and probably near the end of its life. as far as advising on a new card,I will not because I know nothing on other money other than the US dollar.

I could potentially get this for pretty cheap: "Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3".

Would my 550W thermaltake power supply handle it OK?

I could potentially get this for pretty cheap: "Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3".

Would my 550W thermaltake power supply handle it OK?

The auction finishes today so I could really use advise on this! Unfortunately I can't see the back of the power supply but according to their website its 38A@+12V.

That's the memory on the video card acting up.

Your temp can go to 90c and it will still work.

Soo stick a house fan on it and see if it happens again. If soo then the video card is slowly dying,, do a rma ,,, gl,

That's the memory on the video card acting up.

Your temp can go to 90c and it will still work.

Soo stick a house fan on it and see if it happens again. If soo then the video card is slowly dying,, do a rma ,,, gl,

But if its not overheating then why would extra cooling help?

Hmm the GPU might have a lower temperature than the video RAM... That happened to me when I had a X800GTO... The GPU was cool enough, but the video RAM was hot as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back