Issue with starting game with hardware acceleration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

I've just switched my GeForce FX5500 with a Radeon 9550 256mb, going by the book, removing the Nvidia drivers, installing the latest ATI drivers and Catalyst with the new card installed. My computer is working properly, but every time I try to access a game, I get an error message like : "Direct3D: Unable to create device. Try changing resolution of color depth " or "Unable to startup 3D acceleration. Please make sure DirectX 9.0c is installed and your video drivers are up to date" and the like.

My specs are :

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 2.20 GHz
1 GB of DDR ram
Plug and Play NEC Monitor
ATI Radeon 9550 / X1050 series

I've reinstalled the ATI drivers twice, did the same for Direct X, the latest version I found on the net.

Any clue on what I should try next ?

Additional Info

Reading a bit about the problem, I discovered the use of dxdiag.

While using the diagnostic tool, when I run the Direct 3D test, I get the following error messages :

Direct3D 7 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x80004005 (Generic failure)
Direct3D 8 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code)
Direct3D 9 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code)

Anyone can help about those ?

If you get the driver from my link it will allow you to overclock the gpu a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back