Issues emptying Recycle Bin!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Rosenrosen

Ok folks...here is a wierd one. I have a SONY VAIo with USB 2.0 Maxtor 120GB external. Whenever I try to empty the Recycle Bin, I get this error that says "Cannot Delete DF96: Folder is Corrupt or Unreadable". What's wierd is that no matter what I delete from the external HD now it won't empty it from the recycle bin!? Also, it keeps assigning a different number to each error (i.e DF97, DF 106) when it posts the error message. I can delete some files, but if I try to delete a FOLDER, those deleted files come right back! It seems like it has problems with folders?

Any help!?!?!

Thanks
Greg

Try to hold the shift-button down before you hit the delete-button, files and folders will be deleted directly, without going into the bin first.

You should also be able to go directly to the recycle-bin on Explorer, then rightclick (or highlight more files/folders, then rightclick) and select delete.

Thanks! But these thins are already in the Recycle Bin. If I try to restore them, then RE-delete them, it tells me they are corrupt again. Also, Even if I delete them within the Bin, it still gives me the error...any s****? This is XP also by the way...

Gregg

Have you tried to delete while in Safe Mode (keep hitting F8 when starting up, then select Safe Mode from the menu).

If your HD is FAT32, you could try starting from e.g. a Win98 floppy and delete those files from DOS.

One more thing...I tried "restoring" them and it worked. Some of the FILES were able to be deleted, HOWEVER, now when I try to click on (or delete) the folders, it tells me the directory is not accessible because it is corrupted.

:(

Have you tried individual settings for Rec-Bin on each drive? Maybe that external drive's bin does not like to be disconnected when part of the global settings.

I was looking for a solution to this problem for a friend and found this, when just searching for the same error as applied to NTFS volumes and not just the recycle bin. (I didn't think the Recycle Bin was corrupted because he was able to manipulate files inside it.) I wouldn't take this step without backing up the good files on your drive, but according to this, it's a corrupted File Table.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q246026

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back