Issues With CD-ROM Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeAdCrAb KILLA

I have a basic CD-ROM drive installed as my secondary optical in my system. The device came installed with the system when I bought it. I am having some problems with it now all of a sudden. Here's an order of events...

1) CD is put into drive
2) Busy LED lights
3) Mouse freezes (CPU NOT active!!??)
4) Busy LED turns off (after about 10 seconds)
5) Mouse unfreezes
6) Events 2-5 AGAIN! (after about 2 seconds)

The drive doesn't seem to be reading ANY kind of CD-ROM. I have tried uninstalling the device and upgrading the firmware but nothing has worked. I also tried cleaning the drive. I do not use this drive frequently so I am a little confused as to why it decided to quit one day. Any suggestions?

Might be going out on you. Try placing that drive as master and see if it works fine. If not see if you could try it on a different computer. See how it reacts and get back to us.

Would I go about doing that in the BIOS or actually wiring it as the master??? I couldn't figure out how to change it within the BIOS if that's even possible.

To change it from Master to Slave and vice versa, you have to phisically change a JUMPER on the hard drive. A jumper is a small piece of plastic that connects 2 pins together. It will usually be inbetween the Power connector of the CD rom drive and the IDE cable port. There are usually Jumper Settings on the sticker of the cdrom drive, or near the jumper ports. You should see a small plastic rectangle on two of the pins. Usually it will be similar to this:

: = PINS
l = Pins with jumper on it

l:: = Master
:l: = Slave
::: = slave/single
::l = Cable Select.

It should list the different jumpers on the drive itself, sometimes listed as MA, SL and CS. Master, Slave, and Cable Select.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back