Issues With chkdsk and Hibernation in windows 10 laptop

GeforcerFX

I bought a Acer VN7-792G in January to upgrade my 10 year old laptop and pull me back into modern tech. I after getting the laptop I opened it up and added another 8gb stick of RAM and swapped the 1tb HDD with my 960gb Crucial BX200, the original drive is installed in a caddy in place of my dvd drive. I fresh installed windows 10 with a ISO straight from Microsoft and ran it through the updates to get to 1607. If I put the computer to sleep and it hibernates when I turn it back on I get the windows logo and the problems troubleshooter, which loads me into the PE environment to try and troubleshoot the issue. From the PE environment I load into UEFI and just leave the UEFI and it boots back into windows like it should from hibernation (aka everything is still loaded). Any Ideas on how to fix this? The system also wants to keep running chkdsk and have me restart to fix disk issues, I was under the assumption that chkdsk didn't do anything for SSD's and the normal HDD passes chkdsk with no issues. When I open optimize disks my SSD is also not listed so this has me thinking that windows 10 thinks my SSD is a HDD maybe, but it figured it would be listed in there then, even if it was a SSD it should be listed in there so I can run TRIM right? I have run SFC /scannow with no issues found and ran DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and I turned off hibernation with command prompt restarted and turned it back on and it still has the issue. Also Hybrid sleep is turned off in power profiles.

i7-6700hq
16gb DDR4 2133mhz
HD 630 / GTX 960m (Nvidia Optimus)
Crucial BX200 960gb (main OS drive)
Toshiba 1tb 5400rpm drive (data drive installed in caddy in disc drive bay)

Any help is appreciated, a full reinstall is a option just want to try troubleshooting some more first.

-- which loads me into the PE environment --
it means it did not find the Boot Partition Or the boot kernel

-- The system also wants to keep running chkdsk and have me restart to fix disk issues,--
Then you need to run that. CHKDSK verifies and corrects the filesystem structures and if they are wrong, you must fix it even on SSD. This could be the reason for the first symptom!!

The next major version of Windows 10 is about two weeks away. I'd save you energy if you can manage to use the computer until you see how things go after the update. I've never used hibernation myself and with SSD things boot up really fast.

Hibernate is a fundamental service for laptops. Once the current state is written into the resume-file, the laptop goes full power off, obviously saving the limited but critical battery power - - I used it every day.

-- which loads me into the PE environment --
it means it did not find the Boot Partition Or the boot kernel

-- The system also wants to keep running chkdsk and have me restart to fix disk issues,--
Then you need to run that. CHKDSK verifies and corrects the filesystem structures and if they are wrong, you must fix it even on SSD. This could be the reason for the first symptom!!
I have run it, it just keeps wanting to have it run every 3 or 4 start ups

Then you have ongoing errors - - can you get to the HD S.M.A.R.T. reports?

There's currently a thread on the forum concerning SSD drives and sleep or hibernate problems. This sounds a very similar issue but with a Crucial as opposed to a Samsung SSD. I've copied the relevant chunk in what is a bit of a tirade against SSDs.

"SSD Sleep Problems
For a variety of technical reasons, it is bad for SSD to sleep/hibernate. In the worst case, sleep/wake operations may cause BSOD, especially with SandForce controllers (again). Even if not using a SandForce controller, Crucial m4 has a firmware update 070H that resolves a hang issue that “would typically occur during power-up or resume from Sleep or Hibernate.” So it’s usually a good idea to set SSD to Never Sleep, disable Windows hybrid sleep, disable hibernate, and set BIOS to use S1 instead of S3.

(By the way, even CPU sleep states affect SSD performance. On some (but not all) system configurations, disabling C1E, C-States and/or EIST in BIOS yield higher benchmarks for SSD.)"

https://moonlightknighthk.wordpress.com/2013/06/05/ssd-is-unreliable/

If you are convinced by this negative assessment of SSDs you'll upgrade to a good old fashioned mechanical hard drive and be able to continue with the sleep or hibernate functions. Somebody will buy your SSD on eBay.

I've copied the relevant chunk in what is a bit of a tirade against SSDs.

"SSD Sleep Problems
So it’s usually a good idea to set SSD to Never Sleep, disable Windows hybrid sleep, disable hibernate, and set BIOS to use S1 instead of S3.
ABSOLUTELY COUNTER INTUITIVE. As the HD has a motor consuming power, the laptop would seem to be an ideal candidate for the SSD. As noted elsewhere, Hibernate and Sleep are fundamental to laptop operations :sigh:

Back