Issues With DirectX(Direct3D)And Driver update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not very computer inclined, because I'm still learning, but my problems is that when I went out and bought myself Neverwinter Nights(Ask if you want the specs)
My computer had a horrible time running it however, the game is old and isn't something that should lag. So I went and talked to Atari, and they said it was a problem with my Direct3D, which I went into the DirectX Dignostics and checked. I don't trust companies, they make mistakes. So Then I went and got the update for DirectX making it Vers. 9.0
Then after realizing that my Driver should be updated to work with it, I did so, I'm not sure if it was correctly done, but chances are it was.
Now a larger problem has arisen, I can no longer do anything with my display or my computer will reset itself, for example, trying to run a full screan program, or even changing the size of my desktop. It's fusterating me now and I'd like assistance, can you help?

--My computer specs
AMD Sempron 2200, 1.45Ghz
512Mb Of RAM
ATI Radeon 9000 pro, 128mb
(Anything else that matters, ask?)

Update!
I have gotten my computer to stop shutting down when the video changes now, but I still have problems with DirectX.

How recent are your system & video card drivers?

It is my guess that if you don't have recent ATI Catalyst drivers (for your Radeon 9000) to "play nice" with DirectX v9, that may be the issue. Go to http://www.ati.com and download the latest Catalyst drivers, if you haven't already.

Another consideration is your operating system: If you are running anything besides Windows XP or 2000, I would say that is also a likely culprit. If it is Win 98 or ME, I would highly recommend an upgrade, or preferably, a clean install to XP. If it's 2000 or XP, make sure you have the most recent Service Pack installed. I'm guessing that it is not XP Service Pack 2, or it would have already had DirectX 9.0c installed.

Look into both of those items and you should be able to fix your video issues.

RHH

Okay, I went and got the update, yay! The game works..for a little while, now it's gone back to it's stupid lagging again. There is no explanation for it now, everything is in working order. It's truely beginging to make me angrier. I don't want to go back to atari, because I doubt they're going to admit it might be their game.

My windows XP is a false copy, however I can still get updates. I run windows XP pro.

Did you uninstall the old drivers first?

You need to uninstall them {Cont Panel, Add/Rem Progs}, reboot, and install the newer ones, or you can get all sorts of weird issues.

GPU overheating

It sounds like an GPU overheating issue now. Does the Radeon still have stock cooling? It has been my experience with Radeon's that the stock cooling BOTH doesn't do a very good job under strain and the fan has a short lifespan. I would seriously look at either replacing the cooling device with a 3rd party cooler (like a Vantec Iceberq 5) or upgrading your card. I currently have 4 Radeon cards and they all have 3rd party cooling on them, because they tend to run hot.

Okay!
Sorry, it's taken me so long to reply to all this, it turns out you were both wrong, or atleast to the extent that I know of, I had two drivers installed. I don't know all the details, but I went in there and removed them, now everything works fine.

" you were both wrong, "

How wrong? U unistalled drivers, reistalled drivers and it was fixed. ???

Wasn't that exactly what I suggested?

Anyway, glad you are up and running!

Thats the main thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back