Issues with Internet Explorer & Service Pack 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I am in a real bind, I hope someone can help.
Here is my system:
Microsoft XP Home Edition
Service Pack 2
Pentium 4
2.66 GHz, 512 MB of RAM

And here is the problem,

I have been getting the "Windows Update" Icon on my Taskbar and went ahead and installed the Service Pack 2. I then proceeded to do like normal (after reboot) and access the internet. Evertime I attempt to open Internet Explorer, I get the "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" window. The only way I can get my Internet Explorer to work is if I uninstall the Service Pack 2. I have tried to reinstall Internet Explorer but it gives me this error "A previous installation has pending work requiring a reboot. You need to restart your computer to complete that installation before running Internet Explorer Setup. Setup will now close." It's like a real bad loop. Does anyone have any ideas????
I appreciate any help....

I had to install Netscape just to keep the internet up and running.

I have had problems with Internet Explorer updates as well. My solution - was to uninstall the update so that everything was working correctly again and get rid of Explorer. I have switched to Mozilla Firefox. It's almost identical to Explorer, but without the bugs, security holes and it blocks popups.

That's my recommendation. You can find Firefox for free by going to http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

First off welcome to techspot tucker! :D

If you are running and popup blocker and/or firewall and intalled sp2, there could be a conflict with that, because sp2 comes with them as well (so you could get rid of sp2 to get rid of the conflict, as i did) Or you could do what b2bomber suggest and get firefox. I have it and would also recomend it!

Good luck
Sean :darth:

If you really want sp2 then the correct way to install it is after a full format and reinstall of sp1 then without doing any other updates install sp2.

If you install sp2 any other way it`s likely to cause problems.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Sean touched on a good point. The SP2 firewall is turned on by default. If you already have another firewall then you have two firewalls running at the same time. This can give you the kind of problems you are having. Turn off the SP2 firewall. It isn't nearly as good as other free firewalls, such as ZoneAlarm.

IE Problems

I am having some probs too. I am having trouble staying logged into Secure sites, such as my gmail account and internet banking. I Log in, then try to do something, and it just kicks me back to my login screen. This happened with SP2.
I've turned off all firewalls, popup blockers, lowered security and content levels, everything.

Thoughts??

Xp- expect problems lol :D

I use win 2k Pro - no issues like those, xp is nice but too much trouble for the avg user. Plus there have been so many issues with sp2 bogging systems down and such Microsoft has admitted this. However a lot of exploits and holes have been patched as a result. Personally I would invest in a good router and a nice antivirus/firewall (zone alarm pro and norton systemworks 0X) XP is like a well balanced eco system- mess with it and it goes to poo ..LOL

Sp2

Are their any major issues with UNinstalling SP2? I already have a good firewall and virus protection running.

XP SP2 S.......cks!

I downloaded SP2 and also sent for the CD. I didn't like the way it behaved and after 2 weeks removed it. When I received the cd, I thought about it for a while and then downloaded it again from the cd, figuring I would give it another chance. After about a week, I said "that's it" and got rid of it.
After that I had occasion to call Gateway for help from a tech and during our conversation, HE said "get rid of it" (SP2) it's causing all sorts of problems. I told him that I had. Now when I go to Windows Update, I don't have it programmed for Automatic update. I click on the custom update so that it won't download SP2. they can keep it!

Yeah I heard there were quite a few problems relating to sp2.
A few friends of mine have had a little difficulty cleaning out their registry as well. Leaves pieces behind apparently lol.

Gunny said:
The SP2 firewall is turned on by default. If you already have another firewall then you have two firewalls running at the same time. This can give you the kind of problems you are having.
Are you telling me that two firewalls running at the same time cause IE to crash, but Netscape works?

Dispite the trouble some are having with upgrading to XP SP2 ,I am convinced that it is a mistake not to .Most upgrades go well,consider the amount done Worldwide .Windows is always going to be attacked and part of your defense will be to keep current with ' Critical updates'
Use IE for that purpose only.
I have had success with Windows by following a few procedures.These address basic conflicts that have plagued Windows since 3.0.

-Update any software on your machine Only when you have to.If it is working leave it alone.
-If you must update.Check the Software's site or Forums and Microsoft Knowledge base to predict issues you may have.
-Turn off all running programs and services(disengage from the Internet) before loading Apps/updates.Turn off services in Task manager that have a user name accross from them(XP/W2K). This is like closing programs down to Explorer& Systray in Win 98.
-*Stop All TSR's (Screen savers are still a problem and I never use them ,Set your screen to go blank)
-Windows trys to please everybody-turn off ,plug-ins and services you don't need and or use.Make note of what choices you make so you can always get back something you might need.

- A Clean ,Fresh install of Major Windows service paks is the only way to go.Use CD or a file downloaded to Hdd. Never load updates direct to your system online,unless you absolutely have to(Download and install from Disk).
-Read all the issues(FAQ's) at Microsoft and the sites of Software you use,first.Only you know what is on your machine ,there will be others who shared their experiences , that will relate to you.Make notes and prepare for the issues you will have.

-Always have a reliable backup for any successful install.Drive image software is just 'too' easy and convenient, not to have.It can replace a whole system in minutes.

I did not intend to sound Preachy.I would be willing to bet that most of those having a problem did not follow what I spoke about.
If you did and are still having problems ,then your troubleshooting must continue.Post specific error messages and symptoms and We will find an answer.

You would think that microsoft would have at least some of those steps on their site for us noobs lol. Sounds like a heck of a lot more work then gettin a router and a good firewall like sygate hehe.

You have a point Easy;
As you and I both know all O/S 's have issues, and when you accept their weaknesses and take steps on your own to minimize their effects on our individual situations, you will have less problems in the long run.
BTW,I run 4 machines behind a Lan for my wife and kids seperate machines.My own main server is Win2K, their's are XP SP2 ,they like it I don't.(Probably because I am Old and don't respond to Change)

hehehe nice
yeah they both have advantages and disadvantages - 2k is my fav as well.
You would think tho that microsoft would make it less painful for the average user even the more advanced user to make the transition from sp1 to 2.
Its rather daunting. :|

Cheers

In all fairness to Microsoft they are caught between a rock and a hard place.
--They must serve the Image they have created so they continue to write more bloat to fix the existing bloat.
--But they got every crack terrorist etc with nothing better to do with their talents , trying to prove how smart they are by breaking the system up.

What I find very interesting is that, I am reading more articles that Longhorn is going to go the opposite direction and begin to divest alot of the bloat, and force Independent software companies to take direct responsibility for their programming.
Iam not sure if I understand this correctly but we'll see.

I am interested to see what they do with Longhorn - or whatever the name is for it. I heard that they are modeling it after linux or something of that nature.
I will be happy to see M.s come out with something more secure - I guess it will only be a matter of time before the haxors and programmers come out with something nasty to mess it up :( O well such is life.

When is Bill due to be Knighted btw?

I just keep plodding along and hope for the best. SP2 may be bug free by the time I need a new computer, but for now it sucks and I can do very well without it. Sometimes, as with new medicines, I feel we are really guinee (spelling) pigs for all these new systems! After all the complaints come in from all over the world, then they fine tune it. I had a popup appear after I removed SP2 which I was unable to get rid of. Gateway said speak to Norton, Norton didn't have any info. Two forums gave me all sorts of instructions to follow to get rid of it, long, long instructions. I still had it. Surfing, I found a site called Anti-Spy which I downloded on a trial basis. When I pulled up the info, there was that Popup listed. I quarantined it and it's gone!!!! With just one click! I immediately bought the program for $29. to me, its worth every penny. Take care!

A little suggestion!

Hey if you want you could download Mozilla FireFox to be your Internet browser. It is better than Internet explorer becuase there have been no viruses written for it and it comes with its own pop up blocker. If you wanna check it out, here is the web site:

www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Its good eatin' :grinthumb .

I really don't have a prob with IE and I am so used to it. My pop up blocker is POW which I downloaded from analogx.com. It works great and has blocked over a thousand ads for me. thanks.

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I thought I read something about some sites not working with firefox?? Not sure of what it is or if I am even correct. Just maybe confused. Have you heard anything re this. Or am I thinking of something that just sounds like firefox , but I do remember the word Mozilla and that is firefox. Will have to take it under advisement and do more checking. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back