issues with linksys router & wentell modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrispudge

so i went to a friends house yesterday to hook up a linksys router to their verizon dsl, i've dont plenty of these before and know how to do it. but this one was a little weird. when the modem is connected directly to the computer you can log into the modem by going to 192.168.1.1 but once i connect the router and everything when i goto 192.168.1.1 it logs into the linksys router which i know is normal but when i put in the username and password and goto the status page to connect it says cannot get ip from pppoe server.

now i messed with it for about an hour and couldnt get it to work, so when i went home i thought about it and thought maybe the IP of the modem and the IP of the router were conflicting with each other...because when iconnect the modem directly to the computer it connects with no problems so i know the username and password im using is correct.

maybe if i change the route to 192.168.2.1 or something it would connect? that was my thought, you guys have any other ideas?

The modem has a LAN IP (192.168.x.x), so obviously the modem device itself is also a router and the Linksys is already an overkill (and extra hassle). Either a wireless access point or a simple ethernet switch would be the proper thing to use here for internet sharing.

Now, if you insist on using the Linksys..

You may be able to tell the modem box to work in bridge mode - this will disable the routing part and make the thing look like a normal modem. Connect the Linksys as usual.

If you can't make a bridge out of the Westell, then you can use the Linksys' wireless and switching facilities if you:
- change the Linksys local IP to 192.168.1.x where x is not 1 of course
- disable the DHCP server on the Linksys

yea the linksys router is basically for the wireless capablilities, there is a computer in another room that is wireless, but i will try to change the IP and disable DHCP on it. but if i disable DHCP on the router, will the modem assign the other computer an IP?

chrispudge said:
but if i disable DHCP on the router, will the modem assign the other computer an IP?

Yes. It looks like your modem has a mind of its own, so by disabling DHCP server on the Linksys, you can let the modem do what it wants to do. The ideal solution would be to replace the router with a switch or disable DHCP on your modem (if it is an option) and rely on your router instead. Just personal preference though...

You shouldn't use DHCP on the second (non-internet) router - the Linksys will dish out IP configuration with itself as the DNS server. So you'd have to tell the Linksys to use the Westell as the upstream DNS and that would be just silly extra traffic and redirection.

That's true...

My reasoning though is the modems ISPs hand out often do a really crummy job at being a router and the effect of having a router in the middle is pretty negligible for a home setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back