Issues with P4P800S-X board and WD SATA drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Referring to article: https://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-18558-Issues-with-P4P800SX-board-and-WD-SATA-drives.html.

The error you’re getting (click and temporary freeze of the system) is a conflict with your AGP graphics cards; because, it cannot pass the 3D Mark 2001SE.

Go to DriverGuide.com and update the BIOS for the P4P800S-X board. You will download an extractable file to create a boot-up disk. Make sure nothing interrupts that update; because, you can render your mother board useless.

After the update, the board will operate like it should running the SATA drives.

Eric Korson
Korson.us
The Internet Web Firm

Thanks for the update... looks like they finally got around to fixing that error at the BIOS level. Since my PATA hard disk has been working fine for a while, I had pushed this into the back of my mind...

Anyways, it's nice to know that if I wanted to upgrade to SATA, I actually could.

Hmm... check that.

In case anyone with similar problems is checking this thread (not terribly likely now that P4P800S-Xs are growing older every day), you might find this interesting.

Either I'm being limited by DriverGuide.com because I opted for their free membership, or they don't actually have an update to the P4P800S-X in their database. IMO, the sign-up at DriverGuide.com is unnecessarily laden with "special offers" and what not... I understand they need to make money to keep things running, but that's a bit over-the-top.

A better place for downloading the BIOS update is straight from the source: the ASUS support website.

I'll certainly be updating my BIOS, but may not get around to actually testing a SATA hard disk under the new BIOS for quite some time... if anyone with a P4P800S-X does successfully get it to work, though, I definitely want to hear about it.

Anyways... thanks again for the update, Eric. Many geekly kudos for reminding me that I still hadn't fixed my SATA woes and inspiring me to find a solution!

Follow-Up

MarcFOnline said:
Thanks for the update... looks like they finally got around to fixing that error at the BIOS level. Since my PATA hard disk has been working fine for a while, I had pushed this into the back of my mind...

Anyways, it's nice to know that if I wanted to upgrade to SATA, I actually could.

Hi MarcFOnline;

I’m apologizing; because, the computer is back in my shop with the same issue. Give me some time; and, I’ll see if my technicians can clean it up.

As for your update, I posted it for you to download (http://www.korson.us/1005Apac.exe). This is the latest BIOS update for the P4P800AS-X mother board.

Eric Korson
Korson.us
The Internet Web Firm

Excellent... thanks for the file!

As for the computer itself, definitely keep me posted on the progress. I'm fairly happy with my hard disk at the moment, but should I want to replace it with a Serial ATA drive, it'll be good to know what will or won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back