ISuppli: Computer storage market to rebound this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

According to research outfit iSuppli, 2010 will bring a boost in hard drive and optical drive sales, following a dry spell in 2009. The firm believes global HDD revenue will climb 18.4% to $27.7 billion this year, from $23.4 billion last year. Similarly, ODD revenue will amount to $14.8 billion in 2010, a 7.6% increase from $13.7 billion in 2009. By comparison, revenue from HDD and ODD shipments declined by 11.7% and 6.3% in 2009.

"The 2010 economic recovery will bring rising sales of PCs," said analyst Fang Zhang. He continued by saying the notebook sector is expected to be particularly strong, with sales outgrowing those of desktops, which will fuel the rise in HDD shipments. New server purchases along with the migration to 2.5-inch HDDs will also drive sales. Not to mention the adoption of Windows 7 by businesses and the increasing demand for external media storage.

Permalink to story.

I can't see optical drives getting much more popular then they are now. But i can see Hard Drives with the introduction of reasonably priced SSD's.

Consumers in a weak economy tend to only buy things they need and cut out non-necessities in their lives. It would be interesting if consumer confidence will match those numbers.

I do hope it's true, though increase in sale doesn't not necessarily mean prices will go down. Been on the look out for a price drop to buy extra external storage but so far no luck, been waiting a couple of months for WD my essential passport (500gb) to go down from 120.

Of course, this is almost a rhetorical article. With everyone using computers these days and it always increasing, no matter what happens they will of go up once something bad clears up immediately.

I don't' see it happening unless HDD performance drastically improves in the next year I can't imagine people needing another terabyte sized HDD because the other 4 terabytes of HDD's are full of pron.

SSDs becoming more affordable = higher sales.

It's obvious. The biggest upgrade for a PC is an SSD, hands down.

recipe7 said:
SSDs becoming more affordable = higher sales.

It's obvious. The biggest upgrade for a PC is an SSD, hands down.

Why do you say this? The biggest upgrade depends on what you mainly use the computer for, and slightly faster transfer/retrieval speeds isn't going to do it (or make a notable difference) to the average user.

I agree with everyone about the ssd going up, as long as they get larger sizes and find a way to drop the price.

Usb 3.0 should help make that prediction come true .I am waiting till that USB 3.0 cards come down in price to upgrade my back-up solution. That I am guessing would be later this years.

It's interesting to see that the storage market was hit so badly when overall PC sales were good (I believe). I think the rise in storage costs, particularly SSDs may have been the culprit, assuming that my recent history is correct!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back