TechSpot

ISuppli: Computer storage market to rebound this year

By Matthew
Mar 11, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. According to research outfit iSuppli, 2010 will bring a boost in hard drive and optical drive sales, following a dry spell in 2009. The firm believes global HDD revenue will climb 18.4% to $27.7 billion this year, from $23.4 billion last year. Similarly, ODD revenue will amount to $14.8 billion in 2010, a 7.6% increase from $13.7 billion in 2009. By comparison, revenue from HDD and ODD shipments declined by 11.7% and 6.3% in 2009.

Read the whole story

2. flukeh

flukeh TS Rookie Posts: 57

I can't see optical drives getting much more popular then they are now. But i can see Hard Drives with the introduction of reasonably priced SSD's.

3. Consumers in a weak economy tend to only buy things they need and cut out non-necessities in their lives. It would be interesting if consumer confidence will match those numbers.

4. Timonius

Timonius TS Booster Posts: 584   +33

hopefully solid state will drop drastically in price too! (crossing fingers)

5. pipopaz

pipopaz TS Rookie Posts: 70

I do hope it's true, though increase in sale doesn't not necessarily mean prices will go down. Been on the look out for a price drop to buy extra external storage but so far no luck, been waiting a couple of months for WD my essential passport (500gb) to go down from 120.

6. Yoda8232

Yoda8232 TS Rookie Posts: 145

Of course, this is almost a rhetorical article. With everyone using computers these days and it always increasing, no matter what happens they will of go up once something bad clears up immediately.

7. ToastOz

ToastOz TS Rookie Posts: 59

I don't' see it happening unless HDD performance drastically improves in the next year I can't imagine people needing another terabyte sized HDD because the other 4 terabytes of HDD's are full of pron.

8. Recipe7

Recipe7 TS Enthusiast Posts: 142

SSDs becoming more affordable = higher sales.

It's obvious. The biggest upgrade for a PC is an SSD, hands down.

9. flukeh

flukeh TS Rookie Posts: 57

Why do you say this? The biggest upgrade depends on what you mainly use the computer for, and slightly faster transfer/retrieval speeds isn't going to do it (or make a notable difference) to the average user.

10. Serag

Serag TS Enthusiast Posts: 179

Waiting for SSD to become more affordable...

11. compdata

compdata TechSpot Paladin Posts: 604

I would be curious to see the amount of market that is going to SSDs

12. yangly18

yangly18 TS Rookie Posts: 242

I agree with everyone about the ssd going up, as long as they get larger sizes and find a way to drop the price.

13. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 844   +11

Agreed! would love to get one, just not at the prices they are asking right now....

14. elroacho72

elroacho72 TS Rookie Posts: 124

Usb 3.0 should help make that prediction come true .I am waiting till that USB 3.0 cards come down in price to upgrade my back-up solution. That I am guessing would be later this years.

15. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 592   +45

It's interesting to see that the storage market was hit so badly when overall PC sales were good (I believe). I think the rise in storage costs, particularly SSDs may have been the culprit, assuming that my recent history is correct!

16. jasonk1229

jasonk1229 TS Rookie Posts: 58

the tech industry will rebound faster than most others

17. techsp10

techsp10 Banned Posts: 37

I am also waiting for the SSD to be more affordable..

18. rskapadia2294

rskapadia2294 TS Rookie Posts: 102

all the credit goes to people who are designing and creating more affordable and good quality SSD's!!!
    hands down to them!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.