iSuppli: DDR3 to account for over half of DRAM shipments by Q2 2010

By Matthew
Nov 20, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The shift from DDR2 to DDR3 has been long underway, and research group iSuppli believes the transition will reach a critical point in the second quarter of next year. The outfit predicts DDR3 shipments will rise to account for over half of the global DRAM market by spring 2010, leaving DDR2 behind for the first time.

Read the whole story
  2. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,882   +77

would be a good idea to get it now, this is the reason for the upcoming shortages/price hikes coming.
  3. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,035   +91

With so many PC's now supporting DDR3 it was about time we saw an increase in sales. My next computer will have DDR3.
  4. Vicenarian

Vicenarian TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 100   +9

Interesting though...I remember reading an article a while back where they did some benchmarks between different speeds of DDR2 memory, using games, real life applications, etc. and found that there wasn't a huge amount of performance gain between the slowest DDR2 and the fastest "gamer grade" DDR2. I could be wrong, I'm just quoting what I remember from the article. But yeah, I mean, sure DDR3 is faster, but is it really going to make that much of a difference when it comes to real life applications?

Disclaimer: I don't actually own a computer with DDR3 yet...
  5. Nirkon

Nirkon TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 243

RAM is still pretty expensive where I live... and now DDR2 is even more expensive than 3!
    why is that a problem? because a DDR3 M/B costs twice as much as a DDR2...
    so you end up losing money anyway :(
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.