It stays hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaitenV

Okay, so I have a Intel Core 2 Duo 3600 1.8GHz CPU, with an ASUS PSB motherboard. Whenever I boot, ASUS Probe II and PC Wizard show my processor at 45-67 degrees C. Is this wierd? Should it start cool when I turn it on and get hotter? I'm asking because I just turned it on and I was at 52C (now at 48).

How new is your pc. Did you recently put it together. What heatsink are you using. Obviously its not overclocked, or is it? Did you use Thermal Compound? And if you did, did you put enough? Is the heatsink set correctly. Use cpu fan download to compare temps, your readings might be off.

It's a week old.
I put it together myself a week ago.
I am using the stock, the compound was on there already, however, I did have to take the heat sink off twice (once to change motherboards as my ESC was made of fail).

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

most of us like to use Artic Silver 5 compound, and you're removed yours, that's even worse, the thermal pad they provide doesnt really fill in the micro areas for complete thermal contact, AS5 most of the time does make a 4-5 degree temp difference than just the basic thermal pad. Also What's the ambient temp of your room, remember if you're running fans your cpu at best will perform 20-25 degrees higher than your room temp,

What about your case fan set up, do you have intake and exhaust fans, and how many?

This is my case: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811129017

However, I broke 2 of the blades on the back exaust fan and haven't had the patience to glue them back yet :)P). So it blows on low so it does not shake (but I did make sure it was blowing the correct direction).

I also have 2 small fans under the DVD Burner (both blowing in) and a fan ontop of the rack you can see blowing up onto my GFX card. (I can take pictures if ya want).

I've been thinking about buying this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134
and
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835100007

However,I wasn't sure if it was worth it, or if they are over priced.

The Arctic Silver people say you should have NO MORE than the size of a grain of rice of their product and spread it thinly across the surface.

The old thermal goop MUST be removed (I use, sparingly, 90% + isopropyl or rubbing alcohol on a good quality paper towel bunched up).

Let the alcohol evaporate for 10 minutes.

When you open the case, unplug and THEN press the power button. You will often be surprised to see the 'unpowered' fans start up. Could be you sometime.

Lastly, I recommend almosy ANY heat-pipe aftermarket cooler that requires a backplate to mount over the Intel crappy HS.

gl

:)

edit: I despise those Intel-type snap plugs like that cooler you are considering.

Opinionated, ain't I!

yes he's opinionated, I agree with most of what he says, a grain of rice is a bit small for thermal compound for AFTERMARKET cooling, the intel cooler is small and round, about the size of a quarter, maybe a little larger, after market coolers touch the entire cpu housing. which that's how it should be, for those I recommend a dime size amount, not to think, but definately not too thin. And wth do you mean you dont know what direction your fans r blowing in. If you have all case fans bring air in, its not actually bringing air in, its keeping the hot air in your case, you really need to figure that out, or manage to suffer cataclismic results

On, on another note:
My processor is at: 1601.22 (inital: 1866)
FSB: 266.9 (inital: 266)
Bus Speed: 1067.5 (inital: 1066)
Multiplier: 6x (inital: 7x)

All of the features are enabled (Speedstep, CIE, ect), and Windows is on Laptop power saving.

ACKKKK! A laptop. Thus, no tall super heatsink for you. Talk to people who run gaming laptops.

Huh? It's a desktop, windows is set to Portable/Laptop power saving though (not sure if it's relevent though).

Reply to supersmashbrada's
TOP HALF: The top fan blows in, the rear fan blows out, the 2 fans under the DVD blow in.
BOTTOM (seperated): The PSU fan blows down away from the PSU, and there is a fan blowing away from the hard drives and on the PSU (which in tern blows out of the case).

Also, the outside of my case feels like the inside of my fridge, while the room is at a nice temp.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e243/KaitenV/current_temp.png
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e243/KaitenV/current_speed.png

Thanks for your input thus far aswell.

it seems you have good air movement, im convinced that its your cpu cooler, look for the thermaltake v1, that thing is awesome, its a 14cm fan which is pretty silent too, just my thoughts. get some AS5 too, its only like 5 dollars for 2 applications.

np at all, come anytime you need help. I'm usually here most of the day, and a lot of others can help with your issues as well, happy computing.

Answering your first question, it should heat up immediately after power on, and cool down a little afterwards if you leave it idle.

At load, 67C is around the Intel maximum recommended temperature.

The heatsink you linked to is pretty popular, and a good choice. Equally good is the Zalman 9500. Its bigger brother, the 9700 is better if you can afford it.

I believe your current C2D cooler is working exactly as it should be, although it doesn't hurt to cool it a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back