It this computer upgradeable

By Line
Jan 5, 2004
  1. Hello~~~ I need help. I have this computer that is so old. I don’t know if it can be upgradeable. It is Pentium with multiprocessors and it is sockets 5 and 7. I found that it has been with one processor for all this time (socket 7). Can I do something with it or is just a waste of time. How far I can go in terms of Mhz. I would appreciate any advice and ideas.:confused:
  2. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,549

Stick it in the bin (Just Kidding). Its not really much use for anything, other than running old Dos software.
  3. ak_in_charge

ak_in_charge TS Rookie Posts: 119

I know in terms of Mhz the socket 7 you are limited to atleast under 1g mhz I think its around 7 or 800 but I could be wrong. Wether or not its worth it to upgrade it or not is based on what your going to be using it for. If you want a really large HD or your big into gaming then its definatley not going to be worth upgrading.

If you just looking for just basic internet use then just put some more Ram into it and you should be fine.
  4. somekid007

somekid007 TS Rookie Posts: 271

the highest mhx cpu for socket 7 i believe is the amd k6-2 which tops out around 500 mhz. i have no clue what socket 5 is, 486?? 386?? 286?? 8088??
  5. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 993

There's no point upgrading the PC, not worthwhile. Best thing to do with is to run DOS stiuff or alternative OS.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.