It's official: Radionomy buys Winamp, Shoutcast from AOL for $5-10 million

By Shawn Knight
Jan 14, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. The worst kept secret of 2014 is now official – online radio aggregator Radionomy has indeed purchased Winamp and Shoutcast from AOL. Although specifics weren’t mentioned, a reliable source recently told TechCrunch that Radionomy paid between $5 million and $10...

Read more
  2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,731   +287

This sounds great on paper...
    Im just concerned that this company might try to commercialize on winamp more and make it a limited service and such.
  3. If winamp has any chance of surviving then it better embrace commercialization. Free software don't enjoy longer lifespan as its commercial counterpart does. That's a fact.
  4. ikesmasher

No actually, its an opinion. Itunes is free software. Ubuntu is free software. I could go on and on.....
  5. wastedkill

wastedkill TechSpot Addict Posts: 770   +154

itunes isnt exactly free is it... VLC on the other hand is free.
  6. ikesmasher

Itunes is free. I imported all my music and such into itunes and use it all the time. Buying stuff from the itunes store isnt free, but that doesnt make itunes a non-free-media-player.
  7. If you use Itunes as a media player...I feel sorry for you
  8. ikesmasher

Meh. Works fine. I dont use it dominantly.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.