TechSpot

It's possible to buy lost or stolen college e-mail accounts for as little as 16 cents

By Shawn Knight
Sep 10, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Owning an e-mail address from an educational institution can have lots of benefits. There are a number of discounts that companies only offer to those with .edu accounts. For example, you can get a cheaper version of Amazon Prime, access...

Read more

2. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Pretty scary that this exists. It doesn't surprise me though.

3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,555   +2,898

And here I am failing to understand, why someone would pay to have a college email. I don't see a difference between one email and another.

4. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,511   +503

It's clear, companies giving discounts to students, for example, Microsoft and Amazon.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  5. Hexic

Hexic TS Addict Posts: 283   +132

I'm on the Purdue network, being a student there - and about 2-4 times per semester we will get an email requesting our user information. They're sent from a student .edu account, and they are phishing for more.

6. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,392   +329

Pretty obvious mate, paying 16cents for a discount which could net you $200-300 extra in the bank is a pretty good deal....

cliffordcooley likes this.