iTunes has quit responding

learninmypc

Late last night I did the usual, clicked the itunes icon on my start menu & it launched. noticed it was still playing sequentially so I tried to change it to random. Nothing happened. I X'd out,waited a few minutes & launched it again. Clicked play & nothing. Right clicked the tab in the task bar & clicked exit when the box popped up telling me iTunes has quit responding. Let the laptop sit a bit to let my anger subside & retried it again. Ditto. After repeatedly trying to get it to play, I tried a repaid,that didn't work so I used revo to UNinstall it.Once successfully uninstalled, I deleted the contents of the recycling bin, rebooted, downloaded a new copy from techspot & reinstalled it.
Still no luck after trying it two more times so I gave up. I did manage to back up my iPhone with it but no music. Its NOT mandatory I get it working, but I'd like to, any ideas? Yes, this is on my Vista Home Premium laptop. At one time in the above headache I did use Task manager to shut it down. Any ideas??? :)

Ok, I went here support.apple.com/kb/TS1717 & then to here http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1717 & it suggested I try launching iTunes using safemode to fix it which I did. I don't remember the exact path, but I ended up deleting the cache & something else & it was working, I hope it continues.
One reason I hate having problems when tired. Fingers crossed :)

This was a fast give up.

I would have just rebooted and seen what happens.
I've rebooted the laptop several times & no change. I have since removed it & defragged the harddrive. I do like itunes so will probably wait a few weeks & reinstall it.

iTunes is great for a lot of things, but on Windows one thing it isn't great at is being lightweight. So it has to run a ton of background stuffs to give it the feel it has on OS X and that often doesn't work right and Apple doesn't have a lot of experience on Windows. It is often a bad experience for the user unfortunately.

Perhaps you could say what you use iTunes for and maybe some other people could suggest an alternative.

Winamp (even the bloated mess it now is) is pretty good for tunes and visualizations. It is lighter weight than iTunes and should serve you well.

I haven't used winamp in years. I mainly grabbed iTunes to use for my iPhone but since I have iTunes on my W7, I'm ok.

Back