iTunes Radio reportedly the third most popular music streaming service in the US

By Justin Kahn
Mar 11, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Based on a recent study, the now only six month old iTunes Radio is the third most used music streaming service in the US. According to the Edison Research survey, iTunes is behind only Pandora and iHeartRadio at this point.

Read more
  2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,092

I've used Pandora and Spotify for internet radio. Spotify has like 18 million tracks to Pandora's 1 million. But those extra 17 million aren't mainstream a lot of the time. What seems to happen to me is, I pick an artist and the service provides stuff like it, but occasionally it would be nice to hear something by that artist. Pandora is much better at this in my experience. Sure, new, unheard of music is nice to be exposed to, but not all the time.
    treeski likes this.
  3. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

I find it peculiar that you're reporting on the 3rd most popular streaming music service, as sampled by just 2,000 people. I'm not sure why Apple gets the headline here, but news is news I guess.

Like MilwaukeeMike, I'm also a Pandora supporter. I'd say that's it's primarily how I listen music these days. (Aside from a lifetime Sirius subscription that I picked up for my car back in '06.)
    treeski likes this.
  4. treeski

treeski TS Evangelist Posts: 954   +193

Yeah I have to say, of the services I've tried, Pandora does seem to have the bests algorithms.
  5. Lame Apple News.

I'm sure Slacker and Rhapshady are exactly the same at 2%...

I personally use Slacker, and I have for years. No one even knows what iTunes radio is.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,327   +1,930

Why report on 3rd place? Doesn't Pandora deserve the accolades for being no.1? Who remembers losers anyway?
    9Nails likes this.
  7. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 620   +118

I think maybe the point is they have only been around for 6 months while Pandora has been around for nearly a decade. Just trying to be optimistic.

I don't care for Apple radio mostly because it is Apple. I haven't actually tried it because I am perfectly happy with Spotify. I am not generally that shallow about decisions I make but the non-conformist in me precludes me from supporting Apple.
    SNGX1275 likes this.
  8. ETF Soldier

ETF Soldier TS Guru Posts: 371   +78

Spotify is 4th? That's really weird considering it is really popular in England. I suppose it only opened recently for America and we've had it since 2008. :3 That is a shame though, Spotify seems like the one music service that is actually on the side of the user.
  9. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,092

same for me... Seems like a few too many Spotify bands have Raymond as their sound technician.

treeski likes this.
  10. Panda218

Panda218 TS Addict Posts: 262   +92

I primarily use Spotify to listen to music, but that's because I like to be able to download my playlists and listen to them locally (Sprint service sucks in Minneapolis). If I'm looking to stream a radio service I usually go with Pandora as it does a better job with recommendations than Spotify.