iVillage banishes pop-up ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleel

iVillage banishes pop-up ads
http://www.msnbc.com/news/787096.asp?cp1=1
By Margaret Kane July 29 — c/net news
iVillage is getting rid of pop-up ads, the publishing company said Monday, after a survey found that more than 95 percent of its readers considered them to be the “most frustrating feature of the Web.”

Some pop-up ads will continue to appear on the site, but will be primarily related to research and in-house subscription offerings. Their appearance will be “minimal,” accounting for less than 1 percent of all ads on the site, iVillage said.

Instead, the company will focus on alternative ad formats, including variably sized standard ad units and pop-under ads, as well as ad placements in newsletters and member mailings.

Wow pop ups being the most annoying thing on the web.... who would have figured... (I hope you can hear the sarcasm in my voice)

It's too bad that more domains don't do that. In all honesty I make it a point not to visit domains that regularly carry popups. The only reason I'm here is becuase I have pop up protection programs installed now. I find them irratating, abusive, and a waste of valuable bandwidth.

Now every site should do that.

I agree with you Cryo, but even more when you said "valuable bandwidth..." you see, I have 28k :haha:

I'd like to meet the guy who first stumbled into his boss' office and said he had a brilliant new idea for advertising...The pop-up ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back