jacked hdd

By Tedster
Aug 11, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok, the tedster's got one...

I got a old hdd I cloned to a new hdd in a laptop. After cloning the data to the new drive, I attempted to clone data BACK to the old hard drive. In the middle of this, I realized my error. The new drive is fine and has worked for a while.

The old drive I attempted to use as a usb external drive. Now every time I plug it in on a usb port on ANY computer, I get a BSOD, and the computer crashes. I really don't want to reinstall the drive back into my laptop and format it from windows cd.

is there a way to format it via usb without crashing windows? I am sure the boot sector is corrupted causing the errors.
  2. ckrieger

ckrieger Newcomer, in training Posts: 33

Maybe try booting up a live Linux CD, like Knoppix, and just completely nuke the thing if it's detected. After you nuke it, then reboot and see if it gives you another BSOD.
  3. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,684   +153

Hey Tedster,

Did you get this external hard drive to work?
  4. joked u 2

joked u 2 Newcomer, in training Posts: 191

try this

I see you problem, but do you try to boot to it? if so just get a dos floppy and formatt it through dos. do you have a floppy?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.