Jafflechutes ditches storefront and waiters, uses parachutes to deliver food to customers

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A pop-up restaurant – if you can call it that – in Melbourne, Australia, is experimenting with a unique food delivery method. Instead of setting up a storefront and hiring waiters, Jafflechutes takes orders on its website using PayPal and sends food out to waiting customers below via parachute.

What may sound like a silly concept at first may actually be a brilliant idea. Why’s that, you ask? Storefronts on busy city streets, like in New York City for example, command a massive amount of money in rent each month. If a restaurant or a sandwich shop is able to prepare food several stories up where the rent is much cheaper and they don’t have to pay waiters (nor do you have to tip), then the savings can be passed on to the customer.

Jafflechutes will be put to the test in the Big Apple in the not-too-distant future, we’re hearing, so if you happen to be in NYC and see food floating down from above, don’t freak.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

By looks of it some "food" got stuck unreachable to customers lol, this idea is simply the stupidest I have ever seen.... customers want a place that is clean and looks clean and tidy so they know their food is being made and delivered in a 100% suitable location unlike throwing your food out the window whilst you look like a dog trying to catch your food...

Throwing food to the peasants. Besides look at how unorganized and unprofessional that kitchen setup looks! How do I know they are clean hands. One more thought, cut off customer relations and both sides of the counter will become unfriendly and a human quality we all look for when going out to eat is lost to a faceless hand.

Hipsters...

Throwing food to the peasants.

Nothing wrong with throwing food at customers. In fact, I am only a few months away from securing the permits necessary to open up my own sandwich business, delivering subs via rail gun.

Besides look at how unorganized and unprofessional that kitchen setup looks! How do I know they are clean hands.

1. Doesn't matter how it looks as long as it's clean. I'll take a great sandwich from a disorganized kitchen over a mediocre one from a "professional" operation every day of the week.

2. Clean hands are as guaranteed here as they are in any other kitchen. If you doubt this, I encourage you to visit your nearest law firm. The only thing worse than not preparing food with clean hands is dealing with the subsequent lawsuit.

One more thought, cut off customer relations and both sides of the counter will become unfriendly and a human quality we all look for when going out to eat is lost to a faceless hand.

These are hipsters we're talking about. Unfortunately, their condition cannot be changed.

What if its a windy day or rain is falling down what if someone steal your food or the parachutes get mixed up what a stupid idea

After the delivery, my waffles became jaffles. perfect!

kidding aside (since while I can eat waffles, I avoid them whenever I can). how does the customer pay? toss the money up and if the vendor can't get hold of it, the customer can 'recuva' the money?

Last edited:
I don't exactly agree with all the previous comments.

I'm sure if I was walking by and I saw little parachutes floating down and people trying to catch them, I would be intrigued and stop to watch. I'd even make an order just to watch it sail down and catch it myself. It is a funny and novel idea, but it's more of a one time thing, maybe I'd return to show friends. I don't think it is a sustainable business, unless it was an exceptional sandwich.

I don't exactly agree with all the previous comments.

I'm sure if I was walking by and I saw little parachutes floating down and people trying to catch them, I would be intrigued and stop to watch. I'd even make an order just to watch it sail down and catch it myself. It is a funny and novel idea, but it's more of a one time thing, maybe I'd return to show friends. I don't think it is a sustainable business, unless it was an exceptional sandwich.

Now you've touched on the meat of the issue.

After the delivery, my waffles became jaffles. perfect!

kidding aside (since while I can eat waffles, I avoid them whenever I can). how does the customer pay? toss the money up and if the vendor can't get hold of it, the customer can 'recuva' the money?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
they order on line & use paypal

...."excuse me you parachuted me the wrong order" mayhem erupts as people start tossing food from one person to another to get their correct food order.

Why use a parachute? Why not just use a long tube. Gravity is free, parachutes aren't. This is just a hoax as far as I'm concerned.

Whats with all the empty beer bottles?
It's Australia...they don't stay full for long ;)

FWIW, It's a prank. Looks like a standard student flat. Toasted sandwiches and beer...breakfast, lunch, and dinner of champions.
There's no way on earth that the folks at health and safety would certify a flat for commercial food preparation. Funny concept tho'.

Last edited:
How is this news... pretty lame video, so we can now use a ap to sell food out of our house, got it

Instead he can use a large round pipe and leave it in the pipe and at the other end he can keep a box in which the order will be dropped

Great service for the homeless. Otherwise it is really stupid. For any person to bite on the food that was thrown at you it requires the same self-respect as dogs have.

For any person to bite on the food that was thrown at you it requires the same self-respect as dogs have.

Excellent point. They need to ditch the parachutes and have every sandwich hand delivered by a French maid.

The people that think this is a stupid idea have never seen or been to a big city and therefore are not able to comprehend this concept, as someone that works in nyc I believe this idea is excellent, in big cities every restaurant is heavily monitored by a food inspection agency, rent is too expensive so this makes sense and since every business is trying to be more hip this basically complements whats businesses are doing in big cities.

so those of you that live in a farm if u cant understand this concept then keep ur negative opinions to urself

The people that think this is a stupid idea have never seen or been to a big city and therefore are not able to comprehend this concept, as someone that works in nyc I believe this idea is excellent, in big cities every restaurant is heavily monitored by a food inspection agency, rent is too expensive so this makes sense and since every business is trying to be more hip this basically complements whats businesses are doing in big cities.

so those of you that live in a farm if u cant understand this concept then keep ur negative opinions to urself
Yeah running around after your meal like kids after a pinata is a great idea! I can't see how falling food to a crowd of hungry impatient people is going to work out. There will always be someone who will ruin the experience for everyone else. Simply because that is the kind of ____ they are. And BTW, you would be less likely to find these people on a farm!

Back