TechSpot

Jafflechutes ditches storefront and waiters, uses parachutes to deliver food to customers

By Shawn Knight
Mar 22, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. A pop-up restaurant - if you can call it that - in Melbourne, Australia, is experimenting with a unique food delivery method. Instead of setting up a storefront and hiring waiters, Jafflechutes takes orders on its website using PayPal and...

Read more

2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,392   +329

By looks of it some "food" got stuck unreachable to customers lol, this idea is simply the stupidest I have ever seen.... customers want a place that is clean and looks clean and tidy so they know their food is being made and delivered in a 100% suitable location unlike throwing your food out the window whilst you look like a dog trying to catch your food...

3. Rasta211

Rasta211 TS Booster Posts: 209   +30

Despite all the challenges, I'd get one.

learninmypc likes this.
  4. Throwing food to the peasants. Besides look at how unorganized and unprofessional that kitchen setup looks! How do I know they are clean hands. One more thought, cut off customer relations and both sides of the counter will become unfriendly and a human quality we all look for when going out to eat is lost to a faceless hand.

5. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,556   +2,362

Hipsters...

Nothing wrong with throwing food at customers. In fact, I am only a few months away from securing the permits necessary to open up my own sandwich business, delivering subs via rail gun.

1. Doesn't matter how it looks as long as it's clean. I'll take a great sandwich from a disorganized kitchen over a mediocre one from a "professional" operation every day of the week.

2. Clean hands are as guaranteed here as they are in any other kitchen. If you doubt this, I encourage you to visit your nearest law firm. The only thing worse than not preparing food with clean hands is dealing with the subsequent lawsuit.

These are hipsters we're talking about. Unfortunately, their condition cannot be changed.

learninmypc likes this.
  6. soulsassassin

soulsassassin TS Booster Posts: 69   +14

What if its a windy day or rain is falling down what if someone steal your food or the parachutes get mixed up what a stupid idea

7. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

Cannon fodder ?!

davislane1 likes this.
  8. dunebeetle

dunebeetle TS Member Posts: 22   +8

Easily one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. This has got to be a leaked april fools prank.

9. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +197

After the delivery, my waffles became jaffles. perfect!

kidding aside (since while I can eat waffles, I avoid them whenever I can). how does the customer pay? toss the money up and if the vendor can't get hold of it, the customer can 'recuva' the money?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  10. I don't exactly agree with all the previous comments.

I'm sure if I was walking by and I saw little parachutes floating down and people trying to catch them, I would be intrigued and stop to watch. I'd even make an order just to watch it sail down and catch it myself. It is a funny and novel idea, but it's more of a one time thing, maybe I'd return to show friends. I don't think it is a sustainable business, unless it was an exceptional sandwich.

spectrenad likes this.
  11. davislane1

Now you've touched on the meat of the issue.

spectrenad and dividebyzero like this.
  12. douxa

douxa TS Rookie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    they order on line & use paypal

learninmypc and misor like this.
  13. douxa

douxa TS Rookie

...."excuse me you parachuted me the wrong order" mayhem erupts as people start tossing food from one person to another to get their correct food order.

14. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,509   +2,056

Why use a parachute? Why not just use a long tube. Gravity is free, parachutes aren't. This is just a hoax as far as I'm concerned.

15. jeffz6

jeffz6 TS Rookie Posts: 79

Whats with all the empty beer bottles?

16. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

It's Australia...they don't stay full for long ;)

FWIW, It's a prank. Looks like a standard student flat. Toasted sandwiches and beer...breakfast, lunch, and dinner of champions.
    There's no way on earth that the folks at health and safety would certify a flat for commercial food preparation. Funny concept tho'.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  17. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,953   +162

How is this news... pretty lame video, so we can now use a ap to sell food out of our house, got it

18. Instead he can use a large round pipe and leave it in the pipe and at the other end he can keep a box in which the order will be dropped

19. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Not sure how I feel about this. Seems pretty creative, but quite unnecessary.

20. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,155   +1,429

Great service for the homeless. Otherwise it is really stupid. For any person to bite on the food that was thrown at you it requires the same self-respect as dogs have.

21. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 6,602   +335

I'd sure try it. Looks interesting & a way to meet people :)

22. davislane1

Excellent point. They need to ditch the parachutes and have every sandwich hand delivered by a French maid.

23. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

They can keep the sandwiches and just send the French maid.

24. The people that think this is a stupid idea have never seen or been to a big city and therefore are not able to comprehend this concept, as someone that works in nyc I believe this idea is excellent, in big cities every restaurant is heavily monitored by a food inspection agency, rent is too expensive so this makes sense and since every business is trying to be more hip this basically complements whats businesses are doing in big cities.

so those of you that live in a farm if u cant understand this concept then keep ur negative opinions to urself

25. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,556   +2,900

Yeah running around after your meal like kids after a pinata is a great idea! I can't see how falling food to a crowd of hungry impatient people is going to work out. There will always be someone who will ruin the experience for everyone else. Simply because that is the kind of ____ they are. And BTW, you would be less likely to find these people on a farm!

davislane1 likes this.