Japanese restaurant replaces waiters with conveyor belt to deliver your food

By Shawn Knight
Oct 24, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I love going out to eat at local restaurants. Not only do I have access to a much wider variety of food than I could cook at home, I don’t have to deal with dirtying up and then cleaning the...

Read more
  2. This is not something new or specific to one restaurant, this has been going for a while in Japan and is also being used in many Japanese restaurants in Europe. This was first used in 1958 so you're just a little behind the times.
  3. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 706   +27

Ok after watching the video there is a bit more to this restaurant with its tablet menu and priority conveyor belt. As long as it doesn't break down :)
  4. yRaz

yRaz TechSpot Booster Posts: 852   +73

"Japanese restaurant replaces waiters with conveyor belt to deliver your food"

contrarily, if you want a waiter you can pick one up at one of Japan's many vending machines.
  5. Xtreme gamer

Xtreme gamer Newcomer, in training Posts: 24

Automatic Human feeder?
    I am not an animal!!!
    Lol
  6. No no
    not automatic human feeder
    this is an automatic animal feeder
    so
    Japanese and Chinese and Asian waiters are the best
  7. LukeDJ

LukeDJ TechSpot Addict Posts: 414   +112

Dude, this sort of thing has been around for ages.

I mean, live in Perth and I know of a sushi bar like this one.

And nothing interesting ever happens in Perth.
  8. Yo Sushi have done it for years and years
  9. Yeah, this isn't new.

And it isn't even the most novel way.

There's a restaurant (I forget the name) which delivers your food and drink via miniature railway trains which run all through the restaurant.
  10. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,776   +698

Great. Now I don't have to tip.
  11. mctommy

mctommy Newcomer, in training Posts: 92   +10

This is based on "Kaiten" sushi bars but takes it to the next level with the disposal chute and automatic count.

Traditional kaiten sushi will have the waiter/waitress bring you your drink, take any special orders and count the colored plates at the end of the meal. This does replace the waiter/waitress for those duties: you probably go get your drink at the fountain drink, order special items on the screen and it automatically counts your bill for you.

12. Acid

Acid Newcomer, in training

Tipping in Japan is considered rude as they believe good service should be provided as standard.
  13. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,776   +698

Most waiters in my country aren't paid at all so a tip is mandatory. I suppose waiters in Japan are paid something by whoever they work for.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.