Java 1.5.0 with IE 6.0 SP2 getting unexpected error

Status
Not open for further replies.

leem

I work at a middle school and several teacehrs want to use the computer lab to do java based programs off the web. One site is a math manipulative site another site is for tracking math progress. Both sites require that you have a java environment to use their utilities.

My lab has XP computers with SP2. They are using IE 6.0.2900.2180. I have downloaded Java runtime environment 1.5.0 from Sun Microsystems.

Anytime I try to use the javabased utilities on websites, I get:
Line: 1
Character: 33
Error: Expected ";"
Code: 0
Url: *the specific URL I am visiting followed by "/*a bunch of seemingly random letters and numbers*"*

At first I thought it had to do with the individual web site I visited, but I have now visited multiple java based websites and get the same message.

Has anyone encountered this before? Am I using the wrong java environment? I am lost and confused. :confused:

Two blondes walk into a building...
lol

Thank you for your post. I tried it it. I unistalled java, JVM, then reinstalled java.

The problem continues.

*bashes head against wall*

Thaniks real black stuff.

I went to your website. It seemed to run smoothly. No error messages. Strange. Because when I go to This website to work math manipulatives , I get a yellow exclamation at the bottom of the screen. Next to it, it says "error on page" and then "loading java applet."

I get the same error message as I did at the beginning of this post. I get the same message on all three of the websites I mentioned. Yours is the only one that seems to work........*confused*

I will do that! Thanks...

Here is a question...SUnJavca finally emailed me back and said the problem was not my java. They seem to think the problem is my javascript. Do you know where I can check to make sure that javascript is enabled?

Under "scripting for java applets," it is enabled. That is the only place I know to look in IE security.

I will do that! Thanks...

Here is a question...SUnJavca finally emailed me back and said the problem was not my java. They seem to think the problem is my javascript. Do you know where I can check to make sure that javascript is enabled?

Under "scripting for java applets," it is enabled. That is the only place I know to look in IE security.

In IE, click on Tools/Internet Options/Advanced tab.
Scroll down to the Java section and tick as appropriate.
I have UNinstalled MS-Java, so I don't have their options anymore.
Mine now says: [ticked] Use JRE 1.5.0 for <applet> (requires restart)

I use Firefox (you should too!) only. That has a JavaScript Console under Tools. Look in there to find any error-messages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back