TechSpot

Java 1.5.0 with IE 6.0 SP2 getting unexpected error

By leem
Jan 13, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I work at a middle school and several teacehrs want to use the computer lab to do java based programs off the web. One site is a math manipulative site another site is for tracking math progress. Both sites require that you have a java environment to use their utilities.

My lab has XP computers with SP2. They are using IE 6.0.2900.2180. I have downloaded Java runtime environment 1.5.0 from Sun Microsystems.

Anytime I try to use the javabased utilities on websites, I get:
    Line: 1
    Character: 33
    Error: Expected ";"
    Code: 0
    Url: *the specific URL I am visiting followed by "/*a bunch of seemingly random letters and numbers*"*

At first I thought it had to do with the individual web site I visited, but I have now visited multiple java based websites and get the same message.

Has anyone encountered this before? Am I using the wrong java environment? I am lost and confused. :confused:

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

To make your idea work, you first have to UNinstall MS Java Virtual Machine.
    Go here to get the MSJVM uninstall program: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4158.html

Uninstall Sun Java first.
    Then run the above utility
    Then re-install Sun Java

3. leem

leem TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 76

lol

Thank you for your post. I tried it it. I unistalled java, JVM, then reinstalled java.

The problem continues.

*bashes head against wall*

4. RealBlackStuff

Can you give me the proper URL where that happens?
    I'd like to take a look at that page's source.

5. leem

6. RealBlackStuff

Try one of the websites that I have made: House of Names
    This uses Java as well. If anything goes amiss there, it is easier for me to trace.
    Make sure you copy and paste the exact error here.

7. leem

Thaniks real black stuff.

I went to your website. It seemed to run smoothly. No error messages. Strange. Because when I go to This website to work math manipulatives , I get a yellow exclamation at the bottom of the screen. Next to it, it says "error on page" and then "loading java applet."

I get the same error message as I did at the beginning of this post. I get the same message on all three of the websites I mentioned. Yours is the only one that seems to work........*confused*

8. RealBlackStuff

it's not a cure-all, but go get Hijackthis from http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/ and post a log here as an attachment with a .TXT extension
    The problem must be on your PC somewhere, not on those websites.

9. leem

I will do that! Thanks...

Here is a question...SUnJavca finally emailed me back and said the problem was not my java. They seem to think the problem is my javascript. Do you know where I can check to make sure that javascript is enabled?

Under "scripting for java applets," it is enabled. That is the only place I know to look in IE security.

I will do that! Thanks...

Here is a question...SUnJavca finally emailed me back and said the problem was not my java. They seem to think the problem is my javascript. Do you know where I can check to make sure that javascript is enabled?

Under "scripting for java applets," it is enabled. That is the only place I know to look in IE security.

10. RealBlackStuff

In IE, click on Tools/Internet Options/Advanced tab.
    Scroll down to the Java section and tick as appropriate.
    I have UNinstalled MS-Java, so I don't have their options anymore.
    Mine now says: [ticked] Use JRE 1.5.0 for <applet> (requires restart)

I use Firefox (you should too!) only. That has a JavaScript Console under Tools. Look in there to find any error-messages.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.