TechSpot

Java window tiny- any way to resize?

By Cephas
Jan 1, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. I've recently bought a new 15.3" full HD laptop, and today I sat down with a mate to play an old java game that we've long enjoyed. Problem is, the game is tiny on this laptop and doesn't seem to get any bigger even when I set the resolution to its lowest.

Is there any way to resize the game so we can actually see what's going on?

Thanks

2. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,425   +77

Probably the game does not recognise the screen dimensions being reported to it by your PC screen driver. It's too old and would need to be re-compiled. Some suggestions....

After changing the current screen resolution, did you actually reboot before trying the game?
    Does the game need re-installing on your new hardware?
    Does the game have any settings you can adjust from within it?
    Is there a more recent download of the game?
    What happens if you change the values in the 'embed' java statement of the link you gave?
    Does the game or the author have a forum where you can get advice?

My best opinion for the most flexible solution is.....
    Try running the game in a virtual PC where you can fool the game to think it is running on, for example, XP - it may simply be incompatible with win 8.1 or whatever you now have http://www.lifehacker.co.uk/2010/12/19/five-best-virtual-machine-applications

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  3. Cephas

Cephas TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 110

4. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,425   +77

Bottom right-hand corner is an email address of, presumably, the developer. Have you asked him for advice ?