TechSpot

Javascript problems

By Johnbone89
Dec 26, 2008
  1. Okay im having big, big problems again. I was trying to clean some space on my computer when i think i accidently deleted some important componants because now i can't use windows media player or sometimes when im on windows exployer i can not see some images or text and most crapy of all when i try system restore it just shows a blank screen. NOthing!!!!!! The icon when i load system restore is just a blue box with white in the middle instead of the regular icon which leads me to believe it is Java problem. I did delete (accidentlley) Shockplayer, and older versions of Java but then reinstaled them later. I thought it might be a security issue since i had been using a free trial (experied) version of McAfee so i deleted that and tried to load it again via free download but it said "can't load McAfee because Javascript is not working properly on this pc. And the only reason i was able to do anything online is beacuse i was using Firefox. Qiuke time works fine, so does itunes, and firefox, but almost all the windows applications don't work. WHat can we do?
    ps i tried following Microsoft.com support, booted in safe mode with promt entered system restore promt, and still same screen in safe mode, everything would be fine if i could just restore my pc to later day.

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,446   +324

If you can get into Safe Mode ok, then try
    command prompt (ie run->cmd) and enter
    C:\Windows\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe
    which is the Restore program, it will prompt with Create vs Restore and you can pick
    a Restore point from last week :)

3. Johnbone89

Johnbone89 TS Rookie Topic Starter

fixed

Thanks for your post. I used ie7 fix to solve this problem. Then i uninstalled all Java updates and Explorer and Service pack 3. Then i reinstalled Service Pack 3 first, then Explorer 7. This allows you to then uninstall Explorer whenever you want otherwise the Change/Remove option will not be there under the add and remove programs. Then updated my Java via Java.com.Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.