jedi outcast help pleeease

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, i just purchased jedi knigh ii - jedi outcast and to my dismay found that my voodoo 2 card is not supported =(

after relentless searching i found the voodoo2.tar.gz file as i read on some driver download page from voodoofiles.com that it could get jedi outcast to work....initially i couldnt get jedi to go past the little console loading up screen thing....after moving some of the voodoo2.tar.gz files i got into the game...but when i join a server in multiplayer it freezes at the mutliplayer server selection screen and stays there. ...no alt=ctrl=del or alt=f4 or any of that stuff helped....single player is the same thing only at a different screen.... if anyone has figured out how to get a voodoo 2 16mb card to work with this game please help me out....i am dying to play it! hehe...okay, thanks and bye

.tar.gz files to me meant something Linuxc related & not windows. Check out for drivers on 3dhq.net I think the site is. Otherwise you'd probably be best of updrading your graphics card as that won't realyl run the game so well anyway.
If you check the games config file though you might be able to use software rendering using
r_AllowsoftwareGL "1"
I think that should do it, it should be set to "0" for now anyway.

Well, it is possible to extract tar.gz in windows, it's just not common for it to be used in windows...
WinZip hs/is supposed to have support for it...

Anyways, over to drivers...
Unfortunately tdhq.net (formerly 3dhq.net) doesn't have ay drivers for the voodoo2 series available...
(They've stated that they may release some, but when is unknown...)

You might have better luck here...
At the bottom of the page you'll find a driver set called "fast voodoo"...
Haven't found any info about it working with JK2, but it does work with Unreal (read here), so you might just be in luck :)

thanks for your replies so far. umm, first of all, i thought that the tar.gz was odd cuz id never came across files in that format (the program i use is WinRAR btw which supported the tar.gz format and thus got to open it in Windows).

i tried using the fast voodoo drivers...upon starting the game, the screen flickered a few times then went back to the console/startup thingy for jk. it said:

"GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem"

without quotes of course....ill make a second post showing the loading info stuff the console also listed, but i dont know if that will be pointless or helpful or what...

i also could not even find the string for turning off software mode in either the jk config file, or the jk multiplayer config file...might i be lookin in the wrong spot? i dont care if i have to just do software, i just wanna wield a damn lightsaber!...damnit!

thanks for trying to help.

looks like i might wind up just having to put jedi II away for a bit and play good 'ol quake 3 and put up with cheaters until i get enough $$ to get a radeon or somethin.
(oh yeah, isnt that screwy? i can play quake3 but not jedi knight2 even though they use the same engine...i think they do at least...)

JK2MP: v1.04 win-x86 Jul 3 2002
Initialising zone memory .....
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
E:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\assets5.pk3 (4 files)
E:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\assets2.pk3 (289 files)
E:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\assets1.pk3 (8011 files)
E:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\assets0.pk3 (6674 files)
E:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData/base

----------------------
14978 files in pk3 files
execing mpdefault.cfg
execing jk2mpconfig.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
...detecting CPU, found Intel Pentium III

------- Input Initialization -------
Skipping check for DirectInput
Joystick is not active.
------------------------------------
----- Client Initialization -----
----- Initializing Renderer ----
-------------------------------
----- Client Initialization Complete -----
----- R_Init -----
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
...initializing QGL
...calling LoadLibrary( 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\opengl32.dll' ): succeeded
...setting mode 4: 800 600 FS
...using colorsbits of 16
...calling CDS: ok
...registered window class
...created window@0,0 (800x600)
Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
...restoring display settings
...WARNING: could not set the given mode (4)
...setting mode 3: 640 480 FS
...using colorsbits of 16
...calling CDS: ok
...created window@0,0 (640x480)
Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
...restoring display settings
...WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
...shutting down QGL
...unloading OpenGL DLL
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
-----------------------
GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

I can't believe I forgot to mention WickedGL...
It is a miniGl driver for voodoo2/3/4/5, and works very well with Q3 (and should thus help you with JK2)...

You can get it here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back