Jeez another dvd-rom malfunction thread... help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragez0r

yeah i bet u guys get this all the time.. but heres 1 more

my SO is trying to play a dvd movie in her dvd rom but for the 1st time its not working... WMP is just standing there.. and sais 0:00.. and in windvd (the 1 that came with her pc) plays audio but theres no video....

no idea what the hells going on.. but anyhow... the only new hardware that was installed was a ATI Raden 9550 (connect3d) video card... installed the cd software and everything

she tells me she hasnt played a dvd movie since then

thank you for any help anyone can provide...

:hotbounce <--- thats just funny

btw.. ive installed the latest video card drivers...and ive tested old dvd's to see if new dvd movies are different.. no change

thanks again

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go into device manager, right click on the dvd-rom drive and select uninstall. Once that`s done reboot the system and let Windows redetect the drive.

Also are there any yellow question or exclamation marks in device manager?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

thx for the welcome

no change
and no exclamation marks either

audio but no video...
as i said earlier.. we both got new video cards.. maybe we need to install encoders or decoders or something.. i hope this helps anyone solve my problem...

:monkey:

Windows does not play DVD's on it's own it has to rely on the encoders from third party programs ( like WinDVD) if her copy of WinDVD came with her machine then it is probably an older version and it is possible it is not compaitable with her new video card. try downloading the patest version of WinDVD or Power DVD and see if they work.

i will do that.. but why did it stop playing dvd's... this was never an issue before installing that radeon card....

it could just be that the version of WinDVD you have doesnt support the new card.

well thank you very much.. that did the trick.. ill try and do it on my pc and see if it fixed the problem as well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back