Jelly Bean overtakes Gingerbread as most used Android version

Shawn Knight

Staff member

It’s been a long time coming but Android Jelly Bean has finally overtaken the venerable Gingerbread with regards to install base. It is good news for Google as their mobile operating system has been the subject of heavy criticism over fragmentation.

During the 14-day period ending on July 8, Jelly Bean accounted for 37.9 percent of all Android installations while Gingerbread fell to 34.1 percent. Jelly Bean growth represents an increase of 4.9 percent compared to last month but of course, it comes at the expense of other versions.

Broken down further, we see that Android 4.1.x is installed on 32.3 percent of devices while the latest flavor has only reached 5.6 percent of devices thus far. Ice Cream Sandwich still holds the third spot with 23.3 percent of the pie. After that, it’s all trivial as Froyo, Éclair, Honeycomb and Donut combined account for less than five percent of all Android installs.

Of course, this whole cycle will reset soon enough when Google launches Key Lime Pie but until then, Jelly Bean will continue to reign supreme.

Data collected represents all devices that visited the Google Play store over the past 14 days which is how Google has collected this type of data since April. Before then, the search giant gathered information based on devices simply checking in to Google servers. It’s a method that Google feels more accurately reflects those users who are most engaged in the Android and Google Play ecosystem.

Permalink to story.

Considering America's weight problem shouldn't they have called it Lima Bean instead of Jelly Bean? Maybe they'll change them all in the future... Turkey Sandwich instead of Ice Cream Sandwich, and Wheat Bread instead of Gingerbread. 5.0 can be Carrot stick instead of Key Lime Pie!

Or maybe they'll stick with desserts and by the time we get to 7.0 they can call it 'insulin'.

Nah. I think they should've named them after different pizza's. If you think Android devices are flying off the shelves now, Imagine the sales if they did.

I have icecream and I think it really slows down my low-mid range smart phone, if you do not get a great phone dont get the newest operating system!

When I was looking at phones I wanted to see a list of cell phone operating systems min required spec and recommended specs but none could be found...!

Some smart person please make that list!

It is more like they changed their information gathering to change their results. It is more accurate to count all devices that check in to Google services than just the ones that checked in to Google Play store during the last 14 days.

I have icecream and I think it really slows down my low-mid range smart phone, if you do not get a great phone dont get the newest operating system!

When I was looking at phones I wanted to see a list of cell phone operating systems min required spec and recommended specs but none could be found...!

Some smart person please make that list!

If your phone is lagging and you have it rooted you should try an app called Seeder. I used it on my HTC Evo 4G (circa 2010 technology) and it made a noticeable improvement. It's a bummer you need a rooted phone, but it did work for me. Although I read that it helps older devices better than newer ones...probably because they need the most help.

I have the original HTC Desire and I've tried ICS and JB unofficial ROMs and they are not slowing my phone down at all and the phone has only single core 1GHz processor.

I have the original HTC Desire and I've tried ICS and JB unofficial ROMs and they are not slowing my phone down at all and the phone has only single core 1GHz processor.
Oh hmm mine is 1ghz as well with 512 ram like your phone and the sameish gpu, its the HTC One V, it looks like just a little better then yours. When I use other peoples phones if I like click on settings it pops up right away, mine has a delay, I have to wait for stuff to load all the time it seems.

MilwaukeeMike
I never tried rooting, ill check it out. My gf phone is lightning fast compared to mine and I hear your phone sucks at least once a day lol.

p.s. maybe its my gps on or avast, im taking both off.. if it helps ill repost here, ill try seeder and google some phone speed up methods I assumed its the new OS

venerable Gingerbread
. You must have meant
vulnerable
. The master key flaw has been there for years and android is virus central. Not to mention the fact that android phones are virtually obsolete the moment they leave the shop due to the utter lack of updates to the OS. Sheesh. Do android buyers dream of being iSheep?

treetops Avast? There's your problem.

Also realise that your phone is 1GHz single-core old architecture, 512MB RAM, and the top-end phones have 1.8GHz quad-core with 2GB RAM. Of course things will be smoother, a new OS isn't magic.

. You must have meant
. The master key flaw has been there for years and android is virus central. Not to mention the fact that android phones are virtually obsolete the moment they leave the shop due to the utter lack of updates to the OS. Sheesh. Do android buyers dream of being iSheep?

So much BS here, none of this is true at all. Hater.

Back