Jerry Seinfeld's apartment recreated in 3D for the Oculus Rift

Justin Kahn

It has been quite a while since Seinfeld last aired on television, but a developer has now produced a 3D model of Jerry's iconic apartment to be explored through an Oculus Rift VR headset.

Created by developer Greg Miller, Jerry's Place is a basic application that allows VR users to simply explore the apartment up close and in 3D. Miller spent about a month on the project, and has recreated just about everything inside as close to the way it was on the show as possible. While there were changes over the years, you'll find Jerry's Superman statue, fridge decorations and the magazines on the coffee table just the way they were during most of the nine years the show was on TV.

While mostly spot on, Miller had some trouble finding reference images to some of the details of the apartment. "I tried to be faithful to the show's original props and its era, but some things were near impossible to Google," Miller explains. "I did a lot of research and tried to find images of the original products used in the show, and modeled around those dimensions, rather than relying solely on blurry screenshots."

While there is no game here, just a simple VR recreation of the environment featured on the popular 90's sitcom, Miller said there are about 11 references to specific episodes to seek out.

The app is downloadable for Windows, Mac and Linux, but you'll need to have an Oculus Rift dev kit to check this thing out, as the company is yet to market an affordable consumer version of its popular VR headset. If you don't have a Rift, you can check out Miller's progress video showing the steps it took to recreate the apartment's 3D model.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

It looks like its made of cheesy 90s cgi...if its just a simple room id imagine it to be more photorealstic

It looks like its made of cheesy 90s cgi...if its just a simple room id imagine it to be more photorealstic

It was made with Blender and uses the Unity engine. Pretty cool for free software. That being said, I do a lot of stuff in Blender and you can get photorealistic results but the room has to be rendered at 60fps or so, so photorealism is out of the question no matter the software. No doubt you could render one photorealistic image but that would take many hours.

If anyone is interested the author is looking for better textures and/or models.

It was made with Blender and uses the Unity engine. Pretty cool for free software. That being said, I do a lot of stuff in Blender and you can get photorealistic results but the room has to be rendered at 60fps or so, so photorealism is out of the question no matter the software. No doubt you could render one photorealistic image but that would take many hours.

If anyone is interested the author is looking for better textures and/or models.
I didnt mean completely photo realistic, I meant more realistic. xD
I mean a lot of that stuff looks textureless. the stools are solid colors, etc.

Someone models the set form a 1990s sitcom and the first comment is how 90s the graphics are. I'd call that success from an unintended source.

Hey I remember that apartment, I still have a lot of those shows on VHS along with Cheers and a few others. I loved those shows. They don't make 'em like that anymore, pity.

"It has been quite a while since Seinfeld last aired on television..." Nonsense. It's on (at least) Dish regularly.

Back