TechSpot

Jerry Seinfeld's apartment recreated in 3D for the Oculus Rift

By Justin Kahn
Mar 5, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. It has been quite a while since Seinfeld last aired on television, but a developer has now produced a 3D model of Jerry's iconic apartment to be explored through an Oculus Rift VR headset.

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,556   +862

It looks like its made of cheesy 90s cgi...if its just a simple room id imagine it to be more photorealstic

3. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 620   +118

It was made with Blender and uses the Unity engine. Pretty cool for free software. That being said, I do a lot of stuff in Blender and you can get photorealistic results but the room has to be rendered at 60fps or so, so photorealism is out of the question no matter the software. No doubt you could render one photorealistic image but that would take many hours.

If anyone is interested the author is looking for better textures and/or models.

wastedkill likes this.
  4. ikesmasher

I didnt mean completely photo realistic, I meant more realistic. xD
    I mean a lot of that stuff looks textureless. the stools are solid colors, etc.

5. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,553   +2,358

Someone models the set form a 1990s sitcom and the first comment is how 90s the graphics are. I'd call that success from an unintended source.

wastedkill likes this.
  6. ikesmasher

90s sitcom =/= 90s cgi

7. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,553   +2,358

Did I not mention my Ph.D in sarcasm?

8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,498   +2,051

Hey I remember that apartment, I still have a lot of those shows on VHS along with Cheers and a few others. I loved those shows. They don't make 'em like that anymore, pity.

davislane1 likes this.
  9. ikesmasher

you did now >_>
    <---cant detect sarcasm over text anywhere

9Nails and cliffordcooley like this.
  10. "It has been quite a while since Seinfeld last aired on television..." Nonsense. It's on (at least) Dish regularly.