"jet engine" sound from fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have a really noisy fan on my computer - if i play any games it starts to rev up like a jet engine and blow a loud noise consistently from the computer. I looked inside my computer and realized it was coming from the "intel branded" fan screwed into my motherboard / processor.

I had second thoughts about trying to replace it after I saw that it was close to a lot of expensive areas, so I was hoping someone here could help me find the correct fan to purchase.

The marking on the fan read :

c91334-001
N6580 R1
F06A-1283S1 02AC1H1
DC 12V 0. 55A
NIDEC CORP

There are also some wires coming from the fan, its power connection i assume. It's actually fairly quite, until it revs up. Im just worried that its specific to my processor, so I wanted to get some help first. Computer spec :

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name USER-08F090A560
System Manufacturer TYAN COMPUTER
System Model S2676
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~3192 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~3192 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies Ltd. S2676 REV 2.02, 5/18/2005

I guess my main question is, how do I tell what MM size my fan is, and what other factors do I need to to know in order to purchase a leet quiet fan, from someone like SilenX. Money isnt really a problem, but this also isn't a suped up, overl****ed computer, so the fan needs to be non-custom....if that matters at all.

I dont see the point in replacing a fan just because it is loud.

the fan on my graphics card revs right up and causes a "jet engine" fan while playing games, but all that tells me is its doing its job in keeping the parts cool. it can be anoying i know. why not turn the voloume up or choose i different spot for your computer so you cant here it.

any way, www.overclockers.co.uk (if your in the uk) sell some good heatsink/fans, just make sure it fits your processor type.

thanks for the response.

just make sure it fits your processor type.
Yesterday 08:13 PM

So I just need to match the correct fan size to my processor (ie, 40, 80, 92, 120mm)? What other variables do I need to match?

-haus

fans fit chip sets, some can fit all, very few can, most are amd based or int. you need to tell me what kind of proc it is p4, core2duo, pent d etc and we can go from there

It's safe to say that it is a Pentium 4 3.2GHz, and it is either in socket 478 or socket 775. You can't really replace the fan on the stock intel coolers, so I'd say get a new heatsink. Just get a new heatsink/fan that supports socket 478/775.

I agree with MetalX....you also probably have a Prescott Pentium 4 as a matter of fact, since they run like hot like a demon; idle at ~45c on my secondary system :eek:!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back